1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Smoke from underhood...

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by rickyhaiber, Oct 30, 2006.

1. rickyhaiber

Doesn't do it all the time...doesn't do it when idling...but mainly when i give it part throttle and build a few psi of boost and sometimes under full throttle, i can see smoke actually coming in from through the shifter hole (blowing from under the hood to inside the car).

As you can see it makes it hard to figure out where the smoke is coming from since it will only do it while under a load...but when i look under the hood i can see oil accumulating below the oil filler neck on the valve cover, so i am guessing it is coming out of the breather?

If it is coming out of the breather what are the possible problems other than a blown piston or messed up PCV valve?

I know it is hard to p inpoint over the internet but just looking for suggestions of things to check...thanks!

-Ricky Haiber

2. rickyhaiber

A few more things I forgot to mention....

-engine is not making any weird noises
    -still runs smoothly and like it did before it started smoking
    -sometimes it is a lot of smoke (as in it will fill the inside of the car with black smoke)

could it still be something like a piston even if it is running so smoothly still?

3. ctozzi

i had the same problem when i 1st put my kit on. it was the pcv valve grommet popping off and spraying oil on the back of the block. look to see if it is wet back there. i put some rtv sealant on the rubber grommet that the pcv valve sits in to keep it in under boost. hope this helps.

4. Supe

I had similar problems just running on motor, got better when I sealed off the PCV valve with some electrical tape (in a pinch at the track) to keep it seated. Even with breathers in though, I definitely need an evac setup.

5. rickyhaiber

yeah, the pcv valve seems to be staying in now.....but maybe there is still something coming out of it....ill seal it up better!

but what would cause the oil to be coming out of the breather? from what it looks like, the oil is coming out and there is accumulation on the top of the valve cover from the oil dripping out of the breather?

6. 92whitelx

That is caused by blow by. pressure getting passed the rings and then pressurizing the crank case, which then pushes oil out the breather. I put a wrest band around my breather to catch the oil

7. rickyhaiber

If I did have blow by...wouldn't there be smoke coming out of the tail pipes? Or is that not in all cases?

8. turbofreek

well it could be just to damn hot to get past the turbo? pull the dp off look at the blades are they coked? i had a buddys camaro did this. it woul dsmoke in through the a/c vents while driving but not smoke at a stop. lol didn't smoke out fo the pipes though. your valve cover have a baffle in it? under load everythings has more pressure, oil, gas, that turbo even though it says no pressure its still more air than n/a. jmho good sign things maybe going south

9. rickyhaiber

i understand things may be going south....anytime an engine starts smoking it typically tends to be bad news ;)

but who knows...i think it's time to start shoping around for a dart block or r-block bottom end anyways

10. 92whitelx

i doesnt mean that your engine is goin south, its common with a forced induction car. A brand new engine will do it until the rings seat real good. But i would drive it until something breaks. No big deal

11. turbofreek

uh my brand new engine has zero blow by. fwiw and my old engine just barely had any either ;)

12. rickyhaiber

That's because no two engines will be exactly the same...and it's time to start looking into an aftermarket block (r block, dart block, a4, etc...) because the stock block will not last forever anyways.

13. rickyhaiber

the only thing that concerns me is that it never did this before...so I know something has broken...it never used to let any smoke out

now it smokes randomly (not even every time) sometimes under full throttle it doesn't s moke....seems to actually smoke worse under part throttle?

and the fact that oil is puddlingup slightly below the filler neck coming out of the breather is scary....especially because it never did that before

those are the only reasons why I think it's g oin down, but with the stock bottom end it's not even worth fixing in my opinion

14. turbofreek

piston ring maybe? sometimes it spits it out some times not?

15. 92whitelx

im not saying that every engine will do that becuase it wount. But say if you have low tension rings you will have some blow by until it seted good. My brand new engine did until about 200 miles.

16. Red91StangCT

Check the seal on your oil dipstick.