1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Smaller turbine housings for KKK?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 65ShelbyClone, Feb 14, 2006.

1. 65ShelbyClone

I have a fairly large KKK K30 off an industrial generator and the person I bought if from is going to give me the second. Its a really old design that despite the size, the compressors are only efficient to about 325hp each @ ~10-15psi and 80,000 rpm max. I have been told in a previous thread(https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=32668.0) that they have 25cm hot sides and that this is borderline large for a 302. Now that 'll have two, I'm exploring the possibility of using both turbos in a twin setup, but with drastically smaller hot sides.

How small of a turbine housing can I get for these? I've heard of 17cm housings, but wont that still be too big for twins? Are these parts even still available? I found very little online.

Thanks.

2. 65ShelbyClone

New or used, I dont care.

TTT^

3. my8950

If you are going to have to custom build a setup around an old outdated turbo to save a few bucks, I would think to get something more common place for a turbo and fabricate.....I think it would be a waste to hunt for something old just to save a buck...

4. 65ShelbyClone

The turbos are outdated by today's standards, but I would say only because they have a narrow efficiency range. They're still very useable. At 300+hp a piece, they're still more capable than my block.

The purpose of using old turbos is so I dont have to spend $1400 on some Garret GT turbo. The added bonus is the sight of two HX40 sized huffers under the hood and besides, how many people have even seen a K30? Perhaps not the best reasons, but the plans are set. If things go to hell, I'll just Ebay them.

Maybe I'll ask this in the JY forum instead.