1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo sizing for small engines

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Cheekymonkeyconcepts, May 3, 2020.

1. Cheekymonkeyconcepts

Hi guys
    I have a question may have been covered before but i couldnt find it.
    Is it possible for a turbo to be too big for an engine and supply more flow than the engine can physically consume is this a type of compressor surge

2. B E N

Surge does come from a compressor that is too large for the engine, and it can be catastrophic. The other possibility is the exhaust side is too large and you just don't have enough exhaust energy to spool the turbo.

3. Cheekymonkeyconcepts

The issue ive got is i cant get full throttle its almost like there so much are these its choking the carb causing it to floors and ring over rich

4. B E N

What engine, what turbo?

5. Cheekymonkeyconcepts

125cc fourstroke ihi rbh31

Jomac likes this.
  6. Jomac

I might have the answer here for you. I have just fitted an RHB VZ21 turbo made by Ecotron onto a GY6 4 stroke engine which is now 170cc in size. Its been a learning curve all the way and i have had some immense help from this forum. Search for the RHB VZ21 turbo and download the PDF datasheet, in there you will see that this turbo was designed for engines with a capacity from 125cc up to 600cc

If you want to contact me direct and swap email details I can send many pics of the build and the problems I've had to overcome.

Marlyn likes this.