1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Small frame T-76 Q-trim Removing Exhaust Housing

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Mitch, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Mitch

Hey guys. I have an ITS T-76 Q-Trim (T-4 flange)
    I had to clock my exhaust housing a bit. Broke two bolts in the exhaust housing.
    Trying to get the turbo apart to extract said broken bolts.

Was unable to pull the housing over the turbine wheel. Is the turbine wheel too big to fit through the housing? Or, Is it just hung up on some rust? When the housing gets stuck. The wheel will not turn. That's why I'm thinking it's hitting the wheel.

If it's unable to come apart without pulling the compressor wheel/shaft. Is this something I can do myself? Would it need to be rebalanced?

Does it need all 6 bolts?

2. tbird

Doesnt need all the bolts.

I had one that I struggled to get off to clock also.

What worked was soaking the area over night with some type of penatrating oil. Held the turbine housing in a vice with compressor face up. Then I removed the bolts. Got some longer bolts that would still fit between the center section and the exhaust house. I put a nut on each. Put them between the center section and the housing and started backing them out of the nut using them like a jack screw. Just moved around back of forth turning them equally.

3. Mnlx

If its loose on the center section, but still doesn't come off, there's a shield between the turbine wheel, and the center that could be holding on. It's thin, so be fairly gentle if prying or forcing it off.

4. Mitch

Yes. It’s loose and spins. But, Gets stuck again.