1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Small bend on turbo fin

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Bazzer, Jul 24, 2023.

1. Bazzer

How's it going all, IMG_20230724_215809.jpg #ad
    IMG_20230724_215639.jpg #ad
    IMG_20230724_215741.jpg #ad
    IMG_20230724_215611.jpg #ad
    IMG_20230724_215627.jpg #ad
    IMG_20230724_215915.jpg #ad
    IMG_20230724_215946.jpg #ad
    When I removed housing I clipped one of the fins and bent the corner I'm gutterd I've played around with turbos for years now to make a mistake like this anyway it is wat it is, I'm tempted to straighten it but I'm not going to it will just weaken it. It's a holset he221 turbo I'll add some pics will running it how it is effect the balance or anything else, or just run it ? it's just going on a old td27 nissan

2. KEVINS

If you're not going to replace it then I'd flatten it with a small pair of pliers and run it.

ks

3. bbi_turbos

Won't affect physical balance at all, just aerodynamics. You'll hear it, as it will disrupt the flow going into the next blade. So the wheel will have an uneven blade loading. It will run for awhile, it's not an immediate death sentence for the turbo, but it won't last a million miles either.

4. B E N

Leave it alone and run it.

Wallace and tbird like this.
  5. Russell

I would be afraid that bending it back might break it. I might would try with finger tips but I don't think that would be enough.

6. F4K

not in my car

you are holding it in your hands. It would be different if the part was already installed but- its literally in your hands. Never install known bad parts into anything

its not worth the effort

do it once

goes against all those cool sayings

plus, always shoot for a million miles.

failing to plan is planning to...

well yeah

it may look small to human eyes but that flaw is actually enormous if you can see it. Cells are enormous and you can't see those- 2 meters of DNA fits into a cell invisible to the human eyes. 2 @^#^%$% meters

7. Selder

Leave it be. I've had wheels get damaged like that and run for 1000s of hours in precision dyno test cells. The performance difference is immeasurable and it won't affect durability.

If you do try to straighten it (which I've done successfully) and it breaks off the balance will be off and it will shorten life, potentially significantly.

Steve

8. OpposableThumbsConfuseMe

Why not ask the turbo? Run it for a while and then check if the blade ever touches the compressor housing.

9. F4K

If turbo falls apart it can take the engine with it. You want small bits of debris falling into the oil pan.

Unlikely but. I've never had an engine failure because I don't take unnecessary risks.