1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

I want to adapt LSx engne management to a BBC. Help?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by smurf, Feb 28, 2010.

1. smurf

I have been trying to sell the 14:1 468 in my race car and not having the luck I was hoping for. I intended to do a turbo 6.0 LSx and have the engine sitting in my shop. I still want to go turbo and EFI so I want to look into swapping everything over. I can build the harness and have every sensor and the whole harness etc. I have a 24 tooth crankshaft reluctor for the BBC. Can I make this work? I have a few friends that can tune it. Just need suggestions about crank and cam sensors and other input from people that have more experience than I.

2. TurboNova

Yes, you can make this work but what engine management are you looking to run? The stock LSx PCM? You will also need a cam sync with the proper signal.

3. slow67

4. MONTEGOD7SS

That's badass. I would love to do LS engine management on a SBC.

5. smurf

I wonder why they dont offer 24x for BBC. The Gen VI came witht he correct reluctor (which I have) but I am wondering about doing a Gen IV with it. Says the 24x needs the crank signal and a 1x cam signal. Anyone know the best way to use the dist for that? And how to feed the LS1 pcm the signal.

6. TurboNova

Any of the LSx engine management needs a cam and crank signal. There are two way you can get a cam sync, one would be using the same Cam sync that Big Stuff 3 recommends. I think it comes out of a GM topkick, looks like a distributor without a cap on it, just a plastic top. The other one would be to look at AEMs new distributor which puts out a 24x signal for the crank and a cam signal along with it too.

Either way if you do the 58x or 24x you will need a cam sync.

7. MONTEGOD7SS

8. TurboNova

I have used those on several aftermarket ECUs setup for LSx engines on a SBC and BBC. It is a hall effect signal with a single missing window inside.

The last one I set up, we put a MSD soft gear on it for the billet roller cam, I had to make a sleeve to take up the difference in shaft size. No big deal though.

I know the new AEM distributor deal will give a 24x distributor signal and cam sync. Both are hall effect signals and should work also.

9. slow67

I dunno. If your 24x wheel is exaclty like the 24x wheel on an LS1, then bust out the welder and modify your own timing cover. Get the Distributor that can send a cam sync signal, and use COP. Done.

10. smurf

COP?

11. MONTEGOD7SS

Coil on plug. On a LSx engine it's technically coil near plug, but same thing in the end.

12. 64duece

13. MONTEGOD7SS

So 24x vs 58x is really just based on if you want to run a LS1 or LS3 ECU? Are there any advantages of an LS3 ECU when it comes to tuning?

14. Bte85nova

I know this is old but with the Terminator X LS controller ($999) this subject could be fresh again. Cost effective ways to get cam 1x and 24x to the controller for BBC and SBC to use the new Termx

15. westcoastwrenchin

Better yet check out a microsquirt on efisource.com

I've always wanted to adapt it to a non ls! Simply use batch fire and wasted spark configuration and no cam sensor is required. Use a 24x crank sensor, coil on plug and speed density using any map sensor you like. $400 and way more versatile that the holley unit. People are mind blown by the terminator but imo the megasquirt products are way cooler. A megasquirt can be adapter with a $40bluetooth adapter and your tablet will become a full digital dash and tuning station!

Bte85nova likes this.
  16. Bte85nova

I will have to explore this...

17. westcoastwrenchin

Megasquirt stuff is big time underrated because they dont advertise much! The micro is a bit limited on a turbo car but you still get overboost protection, iat protection and fuel pressure protection. Currently working on using my arduino for closed loop afr feedback :)

Bte85nova likes this.
  18. Bte85nova

For a turbo build on the street what is the power possiblity with the micro? Simplicity is very attractive.

19. westcoastwrenchin

I'm doing 630whp. It's more fail safe that you get in a higher end ecu. Microsquirt had no afr lean fail safe so if you dont watch your gauge you could blow it up! I'm more than confident with mine though

20. fastspec2

You can run closed loop afr control without any additional hardware using a micro.
    What are you using the arduino for?
    Just wondering.