1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

slick inner tube problem... help...

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Dave R, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Dave R

Hey guys,
    I'm going with tubes for my ET Drags now and seem to have run into a problem. If you look at the pic below you can see a threaded part with a brass nut on it. That threaded part does not fit through the stem hole in my wheels and I don't know if it should. I never used tubes before and am taking them to a shop to be installed but want to make sure I have the facts and right parts before I let them hack at them. Should the threaded piece fit through the hole and did you have to drill the hole out on yours? Is something missing from this pic? If I take the nut off, it doesn't leave much backing metal to tighten against the rim.

Any ideas or suggestions???
    Thanks
    Dave

2. makka

looks like you need to practice yoyr space invaders skills! :chacha:

look at it like this, if you drill the hole out, you are gonna have to run tubes for ever, no matter what tyres you run, sorry I cant be of more help

3. fordz

I drilled them out on mine.

4. Dave R

Damned Corral. It was the quickest place I could post the pics on. I plan to run slicks on these forever and run 8" rims for street tires, if I ever do drive it on the street. If drilling is what I have to do, then I guess I will.

Any others that drilled them?

Thanks guys
    Dave

5. Robert1320

Drill away. It is the only fix.

6. hilly70

I just used a dremel.

7. Dave R

I found MT's site says that you need to drill the hole out to 5/8 inch. That would put the threaded part and the rubber part out of the hole. I don't see how that would let the nut tighten up to keep it secure. Do any of you have any pics of yours installed? If any of you even bother going over to Corral, you can see the pic in the wheel and tire forum and know exactly what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the help guys, I now know that I have to drill but I think the size is the new issue. My tubes are summit ones where they may be different in the stem area than MT tubes are. Summit don't have that info.

Dave

8. jmstekguy

with the weld wheels i just used my step drill to drill out, then took apart the valve stem (brass piece) stuck a stainless washer underthe second piece, it looks awesome and clean, ill post pics tommorow, step by step

9. gofastmerc

Don't use tubes?

10. ShaneH

The nut does not have to tighten down. It's just there to keep the stem from falling back in the hole before you air it up.

11. Dave R

Got it. Thanks guys.

Why does everyone hate them. I've seen both opinion sides about using them. Nothing to sway me away from them though. If my tires would leak from the bead, I'd probably not put tubes in. I've had 2 sets of slicks leak from the sidewalls now and have seen a few others do so. Even when brand new. Don't know if it's how they stored them or shipped them or whatever. I can't keep enough air in them when in a long enough waiting lane. I like to concentrate on running, not if I'll have any air left by the time I stage. Unless someone wants to work for free on a race team for me????

I'll go ahead and drill them out to the 5/8"

Thanks
    Dave

12. SWT Racing

That is incorrect. You can buy metal valve stems with the correct bushing for the larger hole.

13. Dave R

Thanks for the info. Andrew, Shane, do you guys use tubes?

Thanks alot.
    Dave

14. chevyguy3

where can you get these? i have been looking for some for a while with no luck

15. SWT Racing

They have them at every auto parts store I've been to. Usually the metal ones come with the rubber bushings for either size hole.

Dave,

I have always used tubes in my slicks. But. . .I run a very small 26x8.5 slick. I feel the tubes give added stability on the top end, and the tire/wheel combo is so light as is, I don't think there is much to add by reducing roational mass. The last thing I need is to be skating around on the top end at 150 mph. Some like to run without tubes on the M/T ET Streets because the sidewall is a little thicker, but I can tell you that with my ET Drags, the tire has no problem wrinkling the sidewall, even at 15 psi. I usually get a mirror image of the painted on "M/T" logo about 3-4" away from the logo itself from the tire folding over on itself.

16. Dave R

Outstanding. I figured they'd add a little stiffness to the side swaying at the end of the track. I was worried they'd cause launching problems or inflate odd. I'm screwing the tires on too so slip is not an issue.
    Thanks for all the info guys.

Dave

17. SWT Racing

Just be careful when installing them so you do not tear the tube. I mount my own by hand and not on a machine, but here is how it I do it. I intall the first bead over the rim using little to no lube. Then install the tube with some baby powder sprinkled on it so it won't stick to the tire on the inside. Make sure you have the valve stem core unscrewed from the tube, and that the stem is positioned on the correct side of the wheel (some tubes have the stem offset from the center to minimize distortion when inflated). Once you have the tube inside the tire, screw the nut over the stem and reinstall the valve stem core. Inflate and deflate the tube several times to get any wrinkes out. Remove the valve core again, and mount the outer bead of the slick, using a minimal amount of lube. Once the slick is mounted, yo ucan reinstall the valve core and inflate to seat the bead. Once seated, you may continue to hear air leaks as the air trapped between the slick and tube escapes. I then deflate and reinflate the tire a couple times to make sure and wrinkles are out. Once done with that, I measure the circumference of each and stretch the shorter tire to match the other.

18. Dave R

Awesome. I'll be doing it this week.

Thanks for the info.

Dave

19. Lincs 84 351

It's worth repeating :D

20. Dave R

Could you define "stretch"?