1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

who is running cast pistons?

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by turbo69, Dec 11, 2008.

1. turbo69

Is there anyone running cast pistons in a small block mopar with 10 pounds of boost or more. This would be a factory piston not hyper.

2. furious70

Cedar Rapids, cool. I'm from Anamosa originally.

3. Anthony Fury

FWIW I've got 8# un-intercooled on an old stock-piston 400 and no explosions yet. If you're wondering....no, I don't think this is a good idea, and I won't be running it long. Besides the tune, I think the "generous" bores might be helping the poor rings and piston crowns, a bow bow bow, hahaha.

4. Shaker223

I've run up to 25 on a stock slant 6 piston with no issues. Intercooled and meth injected.

5. Duner

My stock cast pistons have been getting 14-16 psi for 40K miles and hundreds of passes in a '99 360 Magnum motor.

6. CW25

I ran up to 16psi and even pushed out a head gasket pistons are still in the motor. Sorry 383 big block...

7. dwrlhc

lots of 12lbs stabs to 6500 on stock cast junk.
    i love grenade motors.
    a 5.2 magnum grenade will be my belvi's next bullit.

8. rdakota340

did your 273 let go?

9. dwrlhc

heck no.
    transmission sure as hell did though.
    my tune is very safe. even on 12 lbs.

back to piston tech.

10. turbo69

I'm trying to get the car togeather , tired of it sitting around. I've got small blocks stocked up like corkwood, so if it stays togeather for a season then that would be great. I think I will try some cast junk and see where it go's.

11. fastforward

im running 9lbs on my daily driver and many passes on my 5.9 magnum. my old 5.2 i ran 13psi alot,blew head gaskets and still same pistons.

12. alain

I have 8psi on a stock bottom end 318 and it's stayed together for 2 years so far (I don't realy hang on it hard though). It's non-intercooled and running on propane.

13. flynbrian

I'm running 14# ON a non intercooled cast piston carbureted V8...So far SOOOOOOOOOOOOO Good! (The tires dont like it)

14. rharveysr

I am going to run 10lbs of boost on my cast pistons. Wasnt going to but that was before I decided that I need a turbo....lol

Rick

15. Anthony Fury

I think it will be fine - is this a fresh motor? If so, how are the ring gaps set?

16. dodge turbo

ran 7 psi for over 1yr and half on my 360(8:1) hyper junks which are supposed to be more fragile than cast, and well over 50 track outings, and hundreds of passes of just racing myself.....never blew anything just built something that i could through some reliable boost at.....the short block is actually goin to be my spare

i think 10psi is fine with a "good" tune and good gas, and even better intercooled

17. Anthony Fury

I'm sure that's fine.....food for thought though: my pal blew a chunk of crown out of one of his KBs, N/A, because his top ring gap wasn't enough.

Anyway, what might be fine N/A might still explode with the turbo (motor is building more heat). If you go through the motor, or are confident in your ring gaps, go nuts. Lots of guys make big power here on stock / cast / hyper stuff.

18. rharveysr

The motor is fresh...and never been fired. I took it apart and it just hasnt been put back together yet. Its going to the machine shop to make sure the machine work is correct. The motor has been sitting on an engine stand for 15 years after it was built. Never was put in a car! To keep cost down I will be reusing the cast pistons...but I have not yet decided which rings that I want to use..

Rick

19. SScrawn

Good point.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

These were 9:1 hypers. He missed the dist by 1 tooth. You can see in the first pic that the end gap got that piston.

20. Anthony Fury

See? Sometimes I'm not totally full of shit, hahahah.

What do you mean he missed the dist by 1 tooth?