1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

318 cam suggestions

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by 75scamp, May 11, 2009.

1. 75scamp

i need some help. i have a 1970 318 block i plan to turbo. i have the bottom end done except the camshaft. what would you guys recomend it will be boosted maybe up to 15 psi and its a 4 speed. the bottom end so far is a forged crank and eagle rods with kb forged pistons. the heads will be edelbrock performer rpm or ported 360 heads. and i have a t 70 for a turbo.

2. Kim

Look for a cam with wide lobe centers. The MP catalog IIRC has good cams (Purple Shaft) but I think they are geared more towards N/A motors, and get pretty choppy fast in which case I think you'd want to stay more towards a closer-to-stock grind. I do know there's at least one cam manufacturer that makes specific ground "blower/turbo friendly" cams......but can't remember who it was at the moment.

A good pair of 360 heads is very cheap upgrade to a 318. You lose just a touch of compression though unless you can have them milled some (I had those specs for you around somewhere...) but that might work out ok since yours is getting boost. But then again....aluminum heads are your friend when there's boost, nitrous, or high compression involved. Lighter weight, sheds heat better, etc.

Can't wait to see how your 318 turns out.