1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Ultra copper use?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Inline Adam, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Inline Adam

Is the ultra copper spray necessary with a MLS gasket? I am reusing the gasket with a fresh build engine and studs.

cheers!

2. B E N

Is the deck and head surfaced to the RA required?

3. BlackCoffin

Any negatives to using it? Could be cheap insurance.

4. Inline Adam

RA required? I don’t know what you mean.

5. Mnlx

RA is the surface finish. MLS gaskets require a smoother finish than a composite, copper, or paper gasket. No harm in doing it.

Inline Adam likes this.
  6. Inline Adam

I waited and bought some.

7. F4K

If you switch from bolts to studs and don't bore the engine with a deck plate with the studs torqued down as they are intended to be used there will be some distortion of the bore causing out of round issues which leads to blow-by and abnormal wear.

8. Forcefed86

NO. You absolutely don't want that crap on your MLS head gasket. They are installed bare/dry for heat transfer. Slop a bunch gasket maker in-between the head and the deck and heat does not transfer as it should. All the big manufacturers have service letters out stating this.

Not saying the engine will instantly explode if you use gasket spray on your HG. If you know your surface isn’t prep’d well or you are reusing an MLS gasket when you shouldn’t… It may be more beneficial to ensure the head gasket seals the water passages than to transfer heat as it should. In this case I’d use gasket sealer.

Dsrtjeeper likes this.