1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Single turbo or twin turbos?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by rehoward, Feb 26, 2020.

1. rehoward

New guy here!

Just feeling my way around trying to learn about turbo boost and engine controls. Engine of choice today is a Ford Mustang 3.7L. Question is: should I go with twin turboes (like the ecoBoost 3.5 has) or a larger single turbo. I have found a number of guys that vote for the large single turbo but I am concerned about turbo lag. The engine will go into a 1988 Dodge Conquest which is a very sporty road race sort of car and that's how I will use it, an every day car that will see some track time as well. Engine will be otherwise stock but running with a different ECU such as Megasquirt.

So what is the consensus? Single turbo or twins?

Thanks

2. B E N

It really boils down to how much engine bay space you have and where. You can make a well single spool well, you can make twins laggy. Twin setup tends to be more expensive, but the hot side is easier to plumb, on a single the cold side is easier. The real question is how much power you want to make.

Briansshop likes this.
  3. 91turboterror

What kind of horsepower are u looking for? A single probably would be easier to package but since the 3.7 should be shorter than a inline 4 twins might not be bad to fit in there.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  4. rehoward

Well, as far as horsepower goes probably 400 or a little more. I thought also that mounting the single turbo up front would facilitate the intake but the exhaust could be a bit odd looking with big pipes going up to the front of the engine. Running two smaller turbos might fit better up front and the dual exhaust system could be reduced in size. I am sure this installation would require a crossover tube right? The headers would have to point forward to be ideal. I think the twin turbo setup has some advantages. They are pretty cheap from eBay and they would spool up faster than one large one I think. Probably choose one that is a little larger in CFM than the 3.5L turbos so I don't run out of boost at higher RPM.

5. B E N

Crossover isn't necessary after the turbos.