1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Single Turbo low deck 400

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by fiend1381, Mar 4, 2008.

1. fiend1381

Building my first turbo project car, so here goes. 93 dodge dakota 400 big block 727 8-3/4 rear 3.23 ratio. Stock bottom end internals with a mopar 509 purple cam with a 114 degree sep. Template ported 452s with upgraded springs & stock 2.08, 1.74 valves. Edelbrock torker2 intake and an edelbrock performer 750 that i will be prepping for blow thru and will be getting intercooled. I wont be pushing the limits of this motor so Im gonna stick close to 5000rpm and 10# of boost max. As far as the turbo i picked up a Holset H2E, I will be out of the comperssor efficiency range at high rpm, probably around 50% at the worst case, but boost should theoretically peak @2500-3000rpm at 75% efficiency. I know the turbo may be a little small and its a junkyard build for now until the motor or turbo gives way then Im gonna build it right. I figure Im gonna blow this one up eventually so why waste my money on my first turbo build until i get the bugs worked out of it. Sorry no pics, just working on getting the motor together, since all of my money is going into my cuda at the moment. Just looking for some input from others as to how well this setup should run.
    Thanks Dave

2. NigelTufnel

Sounds like an interesting project. What kind of ignition you planning to run? You're going to need a way to pull timing under boost.

Any pics of the target vehicle?

3. CW25

H2E has a compressor of about 64mm??? That will work fine for a mild 10 psi build I ran a similar turbo on mine and ran it to under 5500.

4. fiend1381

I havent gotten that far yet with the ignition system, Ill have to look into the ignition controller for under boost. I was just going to run a stock mopar orange box and electronic distributer since i have some left over from my cuda project since they werent the nicest looking. Dont have any good looking pics of the truck since it in the other bay of my garage sitting lonely until the cuda is done. The ony pic i have doesnt do it any justice since all of the bosy work is done, just waiting to get sprayed. I have a 4/4 drop kit for it that will go on one of these days i get some time.
    [​IMG]#ad

and heres the cuda...building a 408 stroker for it no turbos for that one

5. twin turbo mower

www.magnumhp.com has a real nice swap kit for big blocks at a decent price might give him a call. I am trying to decide of which route to go with my stock 318 turboed, or a 400 short block like you. I planed on mounting my turbos behind the cab though. I have a pair of turbonecicts 62-1.It up in the air I got to many projects going.

6. TrxR

Oooh another turbo Dakota. I also have one that I am still gathering parts for. Mine is going to be a 400 stroked to a 451 with a big single 88-91mm under the hood with air to water intercooler. Mine will be a blow through with a Megasquirt controlling the ignition. Im currently doing some research on how to get some bigger front brakes at a reasonable price. As for the magnum HP mount kit, it looks good and is what I am using.

mountkitresized.jpg #ad