1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

random retard question

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 57t-bird, Sep 15, 2005.

1. 57t-bird

If you were to squirt water into your exhuast manifold the heat would flash it to steam really quick adding even more expansion to power the turbine... not to mention cool off your under hood temps some...

would this work ?

2. Linc's 84 351

No, it would not.

The water would rob too much heat from the air, cooling it off and killing spool up.

Think about how an engine works - - the Earth's atmosphere is 78% Nitrogen, 21% oxygen 1% other.

Do you really think an engine runs because the fuel that mixes with that little bit (21% oxygen) of O2 is enough to push the piston down with huge force??? Of course not!! The fuel and oxygen burn for one purpose - to heat up all that Nitrogen! (78%)

The heated nitrogen expands and pushes the piston down the cylinder. You get a little push from the fuel and air burning, but the biggest push comes from the nitrogen as it heats up and expands.

If you cool off all that hot nitrogen in the exhaust, it contracts, and spool goes down.

3. BOSs5.0

never thought of it like that.. thanks.

4. 57t-bird

Yes... i know how a combustion engine works but i thought the phase change of h20 to steam would expand much more then the residual nitrogen would.... i mean i don't see nitrogen turbines in power plants very often.

5. Linc's 84 351

1) The nitrogen is NOT residual - it is the primary means of expansion in any atmosphere based engine. A diesel engine could never possibly run unless this concept was true (it is where I first heard about the concept) The only exception is a nitromethane engine, they do produce a lot of oxygen when nitro lights off.

2) All power plants the require atmospheric air for operation (i.e. - natural gas fired turbines) also operate on the same concept. Ask any engineer that deals with power plants or jet turbine aircraft enguines, they will tell you the same thing.

3) Steam turbine powered plants operate on an entirely uniqiue plain of engineering principles. The problem with steam is this:

water consumes a tremendous amount of energy to turn from liquid to vapor.

It is nice to know that the coefficent of expansion for water to steam is very great, however the enrgey required for phase change - - - theroetically, anyway - - - would require too much heat loss to accomplish effectively in a single stage turbine (turbocharger) to be practical.

Of course, I would love for you to try it and prove me wrong!! :D

And if it doesn't work, you could use the same set-up to inject alcohol before the turbine!!!:tu:

6. 57t-bird

hahah there wouldn't be enough O2 before the turbine for a 2nd combustion

7. Linc's 84 351

Oh, you think so??????

Do a search on here for "quick spool up"

There are guys that spray gasoline before the turbine for hella wicked spool on the line!!!!!

This should help:

https://www.theturboforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42054

8. svooh

9. Linc's 84 351

You question was?