1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Single Turbo, dual wastegates...

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by xssive, Sep 12, 2005.

1. xssive

Ok, for a single turbo with a wastegate on each bank, what spring pressures do you run? Do you take the total desired boost and divide it by 2 or do you run the total desired boost rated spring in each wastegate?

I.E. if I wanted 10 psi total would I run 5 psi spring in each gate or 10 psi springs in each?

I am assuming 10psi in each since the pressure would equalize across banks through the crossover?

2. mark360

re gates

to answer your first question, spring pressure should be the set pressure you want as pressure is equal, so if you want a spring that delivers 10psi manifold pressure then use a 10 psi spring in each gate, but, why two gates, is it because your exhaust housing is too small or purely for looks, as a large single gate mounted as close to the turbo as possible will offer the best control control and balance when using a single turbo

cheers

3. xssive

I will be running a gt42 that I want to run down as low as 6psi on the street. That is going to take a huge wastegate on a 370ci ls1. I have heard that dual wastegates give much better control over boost creep as well. Im not sure a single Progate could handle it , but im sure two Tial 38's could...

4. mark360

fair enough, in that case you will need 5-6psi springs to get you down to 6psi,

cheers

5. TURBO 70CAMARO

how about one gate for a large frame 91mm with 1.5a/r hot side, i already have a 46mm tial gate, but want to run about 10-11psi on street, is one enough to control boost that low. by the way its a bbc 454.

Jake

100_0289.jpg #ad

6. wheelie

What about running one large HKS GT gate, and dump the dual gates?

7. wazslow

I had to run dual 40mm tials to get the boost down on my combo. A single racegate wouldnt do it.

8. TrendSetter

i am curious about this as well, i have a 468 thats getting a pt101 and i planned either a single gt one or twin tial 44s.

9. wheelie

Depends on the wastegate and where it is placed. I have seen a lot of cars with PT101s and PT106s running 1 HKS GT gate, not a turbonetics racegate. But you gotta do whatever works, and if two gates work on your setup that'd work :D It just costs more to buy two compared to one!