1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

single turbo 454 bbc 5200 rpm redline 600 hp what size?Must be low budget turbo

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by blackstallion, Aug 15, 2008.

1. blackstallion

I want boost to come in right away and redline at 5200 rpm stock mild big block so i dont want to spin it high can a t-70 work or am looking at a 80mm turbo?.Any junkyard turbos fit this bill.Those detroit deisels turbos are hard to come by.

2. BlownShovel

Re: single turbo 454 bbc 5200 rpm redline 600 hp what size?Must be low budget tu

There are a couple options from 7*-85mm but the key will be to get a matched hot side. for quick pool low rpm a 1.23-1.10 S400 might fit the bill. If you want to do something not as "cool" you could throw a procharger on it and make power immediately and put more than your goal down . I rana D1 on my 396 shifted at 5200 and ran 10's on pump gas 10-12 psi.

3. Will Evers

Forget a turbo. You can easily make 600 on motor.

4. slow8.0

I agree, you can easily make 600 hp on pump gas with alot less work. The money you would spend on a turbo setup would buy you a nice set of aluminum heads and a roller cam setup. EASY 600 hp in my opiniun.

5. ash

buy a set of dart pro 1 heads, leave un ported , and minium 275 @ .050 cam..., .700 lift ,
    and you will have 700 hp 454 bbc

ash

6. BlownShovel

Re: single turbo 454 bbc 5200 rpm redline 600 hp what size?Must be low budget tu

my big brodie, roller cam, dominator, big converter, gears etc.. was a miserable bitch on the street.. especially the freeway as I had to stick in the slow lane... once I got that far in the "race" combo I turned to boost so I could regain the street fun the car once had. Car is faster now and way more street friendly and the 3.73's let me make some longer drives in decent time (fast lane lol).

I was also spinning 2,000rpm more than the initial post was looking for. I bet he has a stocke-rish motor he wants to add some boost to and have fun. I would suggest some forged pistons before adding the boost.

7. pontiac_baron

TV7512 or one of those other detroit diesels with a .95 or .96 AR
    they're a bit more difficult to find than the 1.39 AR turbos, but still on ebay occasionally, or show up in the classifieds

spool pretty quick...i use 'em on pontiac 455's
    they're 73 - 77mm, although dave at majestic can modify them to 88 or so

8. blackstallion

Exactly right now my motor is stock ran a 12.&@107 drove it over 300 miles roundtrip to the track its dead reliable.Sine its stock i don't want to spin it high my comp is 8.0 heads are going to cost me at least 1500,going to a roller setup is going to cost another grand,plus i have low comp pistons.I think a little boost 10 psi no more would do the trick,no need to change gears or converter.

9. CyanJaguar

i think youre on the right track. boost it. your heads are already good enough if they got you to 12.8