1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

single turbo 400?s

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by rr69, Nov 25, 2007.

1. rr69

Ok I'm thinking I'm going to build a blowthru carb single turbo 400. I got a buddy that is real good with turbos and carb setups but he's more familiar with the ford 2.3 setups. I'm planning on using a mid 70s 400 block as soon as i find one. I'm not thinking anything overly crazy. I'd like to do 600hp kind of setup. I read on hear about the s400 turbo. But I was having a hard time finding low compression forged pistons for a 400 anyone know a good source or do i got to get them made? I plan on keeping it pump gas friendly and build a 727 to put behind it. I searched around here and couldn't find to much on a 400 build.

2. Anthony Fury

First, tell your friend to sell me all of his junker/spare 2.3L turbos. :2thumbs:

Second, try the old Fel-Pro catalog for low compression slugs. Not sure if they make low comp forged slugs for 400s, but maybe? (They do for 440s...where is our pal TRENDZ? He had a low-comp 400 at one point I think.) After that, you can prolly get some "fancyschmancy" ones from 440source.com. You get your choice of a lot of flavors on that site.

Third, the S400 sounds like it will work great with your combo and expectations...my opinion of course.

3. rr69

my friend is actually getting outta the 2.3 scene. He had a converter fail and it was either spend a $1k on a converter or drop in a 305/350 he had in a mustang that ran 7.17 in the 1/8. So his tbird is sbc powered now. he is selling a bunch of is old setup, not sure what he still has left but if your nterested his a link to his ad http://www.streetcarforums.com/showthread.php?t=94855

4. CW25

S400 is a good choice for that engine. Low RPM pump gas motor like mine I am going with the 1.10 A/R can be had for around $600. I went with the 383 because of the low cost forged pistons. Speed pro has stock replacement forged pistons for the 383, I have yet to find anything for the 400. Not that I have rebuilt my motor yet. 600 hp at or below 5500 is fairly easy to do, pump gas makes it little harder, still pretty easy.

5. rr69

yeah the reason i'm goign with a 400 is becuase its a much stronger block than the 383 and 440s.

6. Lucky13

The S400 is perfect for your build. If you go ahead and build a stroker engine low compression pistons is no problem for the 400. All the 400 engines have cast cranks anyway, you can get the a stroker kit for $1295.00 that has the forged crank, forged H beam rods & forged low comp pistons and be just right for a turbo setup. But IMHO if you find a 400 engine that is in great shape you can run the factory pistons ( they are 8.2 :1) with the cast crank if you keep it tuned good & dont push over the 600hp level you meantioned.

The Mopar factory cast piston is a tough piece & will take a lot if you dont lit it detinate. It might be a good way to go using the stock parts until you learn to tune the setup right. Then if you melt it you want be out anything. Because the truth is you will melt forged stuff just as easy if the tune is wrong. Although the forged stuff can handle a bit more detintation than the cast. I ran 250 shot of NOS on a stock 400 bottom end for about 3 years & never did blow it, but I never let it detinate & keep the tune dead on.

Jess

7. rr69

i was thinking about that route. just use a stock one and run it until i blow it up or want to get more serious.

8. tkelly27

I think some of the later ones were into the 7.8-7.9:1 ratios. It's like they were built for turbos from the factory.

You might be able to use modified 440 pistons, or like the 451 that can use BBC pistons.