1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Will this gear work at all?

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by dizuster, Sep 4, 2012.

1. dizuster

Hey guys, just finishing up my first turbo project. The combo is a 367" small block mopar. Ported iron heads (~250 cfm), 224/218 .500"/.500" 114 lsa hydraulic roller, 9.2:1, blow through e85 (no intercooler), bw s475 (75mm, 96mm, 1.32 a/r). Automatic (2.45/1.45/1 ratios), trans brake, and a 9.5" ptc that stalls around 4700. 255/60 drag radial.

The car is pretty heavy at ~3650lbs with me in it. I put a 3.23 used gear in it that I had, but it's junk.

So...in the interest of getting the car out this year, I have a good 2.76 gear already set up in the pig I can put in.

Do you think it'll work, or just a waste of my time? I'm wondering if the small cam, decent stall
    rpm, and decent compression will make up for the heavy weight?

Better then a powerglide with a 3.73 gear right?

2.45 x 2.76 = 6.76:1
    1.76 x 3.73 = 6.56:1

I know you slant 6 guys love these "no gear" combo's...

2. Alikazam

No need for an overdrive to cruise down the freeway with those gears!!! sounds sweet to me haha. :) Good luck on the build man!

3. skip

Might not be real fast off the line but once you get it going it will hold it's own. Depends on what you want out of the project. Are you looking more for daily driver with some speed or are you looking for every tenth from it out at the drag strip?

4. turbo toad

I know you slant 6 guys love these "no gear" combo's...
    [/quote]

I'd say run what you got if you want to enjoy it this year and swap it out when you find another one with that big stall and throw in some boost you maybe pleasantly surprised with that gear
    Good luck

5. dodge turbo

you'd be surprised how fast it will be with those 2.76's...turbos like the lower numberical gear to build load. remember you dont want to go blowing through first gear and not make any boost. Personally i would have a tighter convertor in that car too, thats a lot of stall for a turbo street car. i have 3.23's in my truck with a 30 inch tire and been in the high 10's at close to 130 on 10psi and im at 3700lbs with me in it with a
    x-headed .30 over 360 with a similar cam to yours. i have a 10inch convertor that flashs at 3,500.

if you like driving your car youll love those gears esp if you drive on the interstates. Its also fun to go from a 70 mph roll with a porsche or z06 and hand them their ass you know :D