1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Stock 302 motor help

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by badpony93, Oct 18, 2013.

1. badpony93

What I have 93gt stock 88k mile short block.
    Parts I have:

Holley Systemax II
    TW170
    1.6 Comp Gold rockers
    75mm TB
    80mm MAF
    30lbs Injectors
    3:73
    31 Spline carrier and axles
    255 Intake pump (trying to sell for a 340)

What I still need is Cam, pushrods and anything else that comes up. I need an off the self cam the will pass smog and go with 1.6 I already have. The short blocks apart waiting for the heads, intake etc. What I want to know is what basics do I need or precautions I can take meaning gaskets, catch can and so forth. I need my car running NA before I put a turbo on due to smog and registration. I know I will need to change the injecters, gears and I know the limits of the block. I'm not trying to brake any records.

2. Disney Lincoln

Stock cam will be great. Of course get the bigger injectors. That pump will be OK too.

3. badpony93

Even with the 1.6s? I heard a lot of people using 1.7 but like I said I already have the 1.6s.

4. Disney Lincoln

Small difference. If you miss the few hp the 1.7s would give you, just turn up the boost .5psi

5. 91turboterror

The stock cam can support enough power to break the block.might be easier on emissions too

6. badpony93

I have to pull the timing cover to replace a gasket leak I feel like I should change it lol

I've been recommended the fel pro 9333 pt1 head gaskets ant other?

7. Disney Lincoln

Take a cold shower. The stock cam can make enough to split the stock block. Plus it keeps the peak power at a lower rpm which may help the engine live a little longer.

Yes, 9333PT-1 is the gasket to run. Get some ARP head studs too.

8. badpony93

Should I change the degrees of the cam at all? 4 degrees retard 0 or advanced?

9. Disney Lincoln

I thought you weren't trying to break any records?

10. badpony93

I'm not I still want a nice set up with what I got. Why not change if it can improve especially if the timing cover is coming off.

11. 91turboterror

If you wanna keep that engine from spilling its guts all over the pavement don't rev it past 6000rpms A bigger cam usually shifts the powerband higher in the rpm range. You can get a stock 5.0 into the tens with a turbo. Heads & intake are the restriction which you addressed. How much power do you want to make? Chances are you aren't gonna break records your gonna break parts lol

12. badpony93

450 to 500 and its still a 5spd. I mean I haven't address any of the suspension, transmission or anything I want to get it running and go from there. Just want to experiment I've never ran a turbo. I just want to know the simple precautions and obviously it depends how I drive the car...

13. 91turboterror

A stock t5 might survive a little longer on street tires. 3.73s aren't optimal in a turbo application . You'll want to change them to something like 3.27s

14. Disney Lincoln

What do you tink you will improve? The stock cam is more than capable of making enough power to split the block in two. It will have better low end torque and drivability than most any other cam you could think of to stick in there. I know what you're dealing with, we have all been there. I'm just trying to help you from my experience. If you want to spin the engine higher, have a lumpy idle, and less drivable car, then by all means. But if you really want a good running car that will pass smog, I'd keep the stock cam in it. You've done more good with the heads and intake than any cam would ever be worth.

Not to mention the sleeper factor....

15. Mike86Stang

:withstupid:

16. Metonymy

Glad to see this thread. I too am doing a "stock guts" turbo build. I'm planning on keeping the stock cam and heads though (budget can only support just so much expenditure at the get-go).

I'm planning on running 3.55's, already have a cobra intake, etc.

Going to pick up some 60lb injectors, but if anyone has a suggestion on what size/brand MAF to run, that'd be great.

17. Disney Lincoln

Ditch the MAF and run MS? I did and am VERY happy with the results after years of tuning with MAF. I won't look back.

18. badpony93

That's good to know I was going to get a blow through tube...

19. badpony93

Any more info on the MS like which one I don't know anything about them?

20. Disney Lincoln

To me, the easier way to go is the DIYPNP.