1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Single or dual wastegates?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Chris91LX, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Chris91LX

Looking at a B&G kit and have an option for running dual 38's or a single wastegate, is there an advantage to either? If I were tun a boost controller would it be more difficult with 2 wastegates rather than a single? Thanks for any help.

2. TwinTrouble

what tubo do you plan on running Chris? The only time you would really need 2 wastegates is if you wanted to run really low boost. We used a single 38 JGS gate on Shane's cobra with a mpT70 and boost held rock solid at 9psi.

-Shaun

3. Chris91LX

Hey Shaun. Pratt's been trying to talk me into a BW or a 76mm at the least. :D He's convinced I'll want to go faster once I get a smaller one dialed in. The BW won't work with an off the shelf kit, so I'm planning on going with something in the 70-76mm range. Looking at all my options right now.

4. TwinTrouble

Chris, Mike is right. With an A4 shortblock, i wouldn't go with anything with T4 flange, T6 all the way. You will have plenty of room to grow that way too.

Does B&G make a kit for a T-6 flange? You can always bring it by in a year or two when you get sick of the kiddy turbo and have us mod the kit for an adult turbo. Or, you can man up and we can build you a kit like the one on the capri :cheers:

-Shaun

5. Chris91LX

LOL If I wasn't on a strict budget, and if I wanted to be scared of my car, I'd be talking to you guys about building it, Shaun. :2thumbs: Everything I've seen says I can get well into the 9's with a simple, off the shelf, T4 buildup and that's all I'm looking for right now. When I'm ready to "man up" I'm sure you'll be the first guy I call. :D

6. Ackbar00

I ran dual Tial 38's at one time. I was having trouble controlling the boost. Added the second and it worked just fine. Had it hooked up to a Profec 2 EBC, just tie the two side and the two top ports together and that is it.

7. Chris91LX

How much boost were you running?

8. TwinTrouble

what was the engine size, turbo size (turbine a/r and wheel trim), and how much boost were you trying to run?

9. Ackbar00

It was a 302, PTK kit and a T64 turbo. For some reason, it was making like 18 psi and I could not get it to go lower. After adding the second gate, I could run it all the way down to 4 psi (I had the smallest Tial springs in the gates).

Now go figure, on my current 408, T70 combo and using one of the same Tial 38's, I was able to hold it steady at 9 psi pretty easily.

Old thread:
    https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=40272.0

10. 86merc

I think it should be said that Chris is afraid of boost. He gets nervous with more than 3# of boost. He should run two 60mm gates to be safe. Maybe just bypass the turbo all together. Just have it there for display and bragging. :eek:

Chris, Did you decide on a turbo yet? That will have a lot to do with what gate(s) you will need to control it properly. Last we talked you were still thinking of a 62mm turbo or some thing like that.

11. TwinTrouble

:withu: 62mm? why are we even wasting our time in this thread? :doh:

seriously, mike is right. First pick your powergoal, then use that to pick your turbo, then use that to chose your wastegate(s)

sidebar: why the fuck is this on the emoticon page? :2g1c:

12. 86merc

Chris says he only wants 700hp. So they are saying a 62mm with a .81 a/r on the turbine is what he needs. I keep telling him he will want more sooner or later. We all know how it goes. lol

I am starting Chris really is skuuuured to go fast. lol

What says you Chris? :D

13. Chris91LX

Back off you psychos. :D I'm not afraid of boost, but I'm not looking to jump straight into the 8's either. :eek: Last my car hit the track I was running mid 11's. I want to get it into the 10's and dial in the suspension to make sure I'm not going to kill myself and then turn up the boost and see if I can dip into the 9's. Once I'm there I may get all wacky like you two, but I'm not there right now. :ahah:

Supernatural was talking about a 67mm custom garrett for me, not a 62. I'm leaning toward a 70-76mm that will give me a lot more to play with, but I am still doing research. I've been talking with some of the other vendors and will see what they say and go from there.

In the meantime, I'm trying to see what the best way to run the peripherals may be, hence the question of single or dual wastegates.

14. bgjohnson

I like these guys. Haha,

If your under 350 cubes you might be able to get away with a T-4 based turbo and make very good power.

Look at these crazy fuckers with PT91mm's or 88's doing insane times. Makes me wish I wouldn't have stroked my 351.

15. 302andsome

2 girls 1 cup lol

16. TwinTrouble

haha i know what it is, i just don't know why we need it!