1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

auto trans fluid ? (race applications)

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by turbostang, May 19, 2004.

1. turbostang

What is every one using for auto trans fluid in RACE applications? i.e. transbrake.

I have heard Merc. III, Type F.. etc. I was told to use type F due to the lighter lubrication properties and it's ability to allow the clutches/bands to get a better "grip".

OTOH - I like the fact that the MercIII , bieng "slicker", to give more life to fast moving metal to metal parts....

Which works the best against heat?

Then there is Synthetic oils... I have heard this to be a no-no. ?

I dont mind a rebuild or a checkup at the end of the season if that is what the type F demands.. but at the same time I dont want to remove the trans a 3rd time.. :/

2. SWT Racing

I use Type F in my PowerGlide. It will lubricate just as well as Dextron/Mercron, it just has different friction modifiers.

3. turbostang

hmm.. good to know. I have had so many troubles lately that this time I want to get it right.

4. 93lxhorse

Brooks just run that cheap stuff ! Tony (Boost Addict) said that's all he used to use in the transmission he sold to me and it worked fine. Just change it alot.....

5. Zoomer

We use type F in our glide. I am going to start changing the fluid after every event. I am not getting a ton of temp in the transmission pan after a pass but a check of the converter with a heat gun reveals that it is WAY hot. After a pass the converter has been as high as 230 with the pan temp at 170. The converter is what torches the fluid more often than not. Once that happen other damages tend to follow. After 3 races on the same fluid it has now discolored and has a mild burnt smell. The clutch and band linnings are fine just the fuild is nasty. Fluid is a cheap maintenance item....

6. SWT Racing

I agree. That's one of the reasons why I put my trans cooler inside the reservoir for my water-to-air intercooler. Of course, i'm not making nearly the power you guys are.

:OT: Are you guys going to make the Fontana event this weekend?

7. Zoomer

Our transmission cooler uses the water from the "Ice Chest" as well....No Fontana, No Sacramento..see us in September @ Vegas...

8. ShaneH

Every transmission builder has a different preference. If you go to the races and watch the SSO guys, one will use Type F, one will use Dexron III, one will use something synthetic, etc. I've used all three at one time or the other and none outperformed any of the others that I can tell. Now I just use what's cheapest!

9. turbostang

This is the part I like and it is what I have been doing..:)