1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Advice on a turbo for my sbc engine

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by DomesticDisturbanceZ, Aug 5, 2014.

1. DomesticDisturbanceZ

Ok I currently have a sbc 406. The block has a forged 400 crank 6.0 forged rods, and forged .030 11:1 pistons, the heads are trick flow 195 built and massaged by total engine airflow. Full roller with 1.5 rockers and a victor junior intake. The engine is in a 77 280z that I autox and occasionally drag race, take to car shows and cruises and such. The engine makes in the neighborhood of 450-475 on 91 octane. I know I'd have to change the camshaft for sure it's a trick flow tfs-31402001. I'm curious about receiving information about adding a Single turbo to my current setup. Will it work or is my setup all wrong? If it's all wrong it's no big deal but in the always expanding quest for more power I'm taking a shot in the dark. As far as fueling goes I would either have to build a box around my carb or I have an edelbrock pro flo system that I had planned to convert with megasquirt2. I know this wasn't as in depth as needed but I will answer questions as best I know as they come up. Thanks.

2. DomesticDisturbanceZ

I also forgot to mention if like to be at a lowish boost setting 5-7 psi but again I'd like the option to turn it up a bit as well. If it is an option

3. Gen1SVE

How much power do you want to make? Do you have E-85 readily available?

4. DomesticDisturbanceZ

We don't have e85 anywhere around. There is a local distributor who claims to he able to mix it. I was thinking possibly a snow kit? As far as power goes I'm thinking in the neighborhood of 700-800 on 8-10lbs and 600-700 on 5-7. The engine turns 6800 as of now.

5. Gen1SVE

About 12 psi would be needed for 800hp with your current compression. Personally I would build the engine for the turbo, 9.0-9.5:1 compression, turbo cam... Then you could run pump gas and reach your power goal. May take 15psi with the reduced compression though. I would look into a gt50-88 turbo for that application.

6. DomesticDisturbanceZ

Yeah I really don't wanna tear this engine down it hasn't been run too much for the amount of money that's in it. Don't think the other half would like me spending that much more haha.

7. DomesticDisturbanceZ

I've heard of having a cam Ground that will help bleed off some compression as the rpm ramps up. That way you can keep your compression for down low.