1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

what did dad buy at a swap meet??? help identify the turbo (sorry)

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by alilley, Nov 19, 2011.

1. alilley

ok so dad went to a swap meety over the weekend and found a guy that had "a pair of matched" turbos. as far as the housings go they do look the same. teh guy told dad that they came off of a biog block chevy, one would push 4 cyl good but it would take both to push a v8 descent.

what we have found out so far
    on the cold side there is m12 tward the top and is in the casting of the housing, it is actucall raised we found were it says ar .50 on same side

on the hot side it says .63 ....this side of the housing is about the same size as the 42 mm one he has off of a gran national

now the housing for the hot side is smaller then the cold side and where the air is drawn in to is just a bit over 3 inches.

sorry have not torn them apart yet to measure amything on the inside (hopefuly tomorrow)

3 questions...........what are they? any idea on size? will they push a 383 fairly good?

any help here ios grewatly appreciated... and many thanks in advance

2. BlownShovel

initial guess is a variant of T3 - T4

Post pics and any part numbers you can find

3. alilley

i will attempt to (this would be first attemp on this forum for pics.). i will be going back over there later on this afternoon to finish up another project (putting blade on mower but no mounts so convert it over to a rese hitch style). when i get over ther i will take pics

4. cat herder

...and casting numbers aren't the same as part numbers. Casting numbers are largely irrelevant, a casting can be machined into many many different part numbers. If it's not stamped, or engraved, or on a tag, it'll mostly mean nothing. Pics and measure both sides of both wheels.

5. XBRED1

You got that right I found out recently that exact thing trying to get some bearings for a 106 and those numbers didnt hellp one bit :bang:

6. alilley

i do know that there are not any tags on it with any kind of numbers on it. the number/letters that i mentioned prior was casted in (raised)

7. brianj5600

Get the largest and smallest diameter of both wheels and that will help a lot to figure out what you have and what they are capable of.

8. V8-Volvo

9. alilley

ok i do have some pics in my phone that i am having issues getting onto my computer :doh: (new phone and still learning it) but in general and perpotions yes the e bay link and what dad has fo look simular............i get this ohone ifgured out i will post what i have of it .........if this is one of the chineese ones (i am assuming that is what that e bay item was and what dad got for the price) does any one have any idea where we might be able to get some parts at for one of them?

10. V8-Volvo

You can find a LOT of parts for those on eBay. The raised M** stamp is pretty common on the turbos. I sold a "GT28RS" ballbearing CHRA one and "GT35R", both had M something cast into the compressor housing. M24 I want to say but can't really remember.

Some of them can accept rebuild parts (bearings, gaskets) from whatever turbo they're a knockoff of.

11. 2turbonova

Im betting they're ebay turbos those are very common ebay ar sizes. They are good turbos though I've pushed them to 20lbs in a hayabusa without issue. Hope he only paid $100 for the pair though.

12. alilley

ok so i tried to load the pics i took with my phone the other night when i was ovewr at dads and it keeps telling me that there was an error.....file to large can any one help me figure out how to down size them to get them loaded..................on eo f the turbos he got was apart and he is took that one ot a diesl shop to see if they can get any parts for it as well once he get back over there to pick it up (hopefully today after he gets off work) i will have wheel sizes

13. furchaser

14. V8-Volvo

You can upload them to imgur.com

adding an s, m or an l to the end of the file name (before the .jpg) will give you a small, medium or large image. It will also give you the code to post them here.

15. alilley

ok lets try this ........i forgot about having this account...................if link dont work some one please speak up....

http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/x370/alilley1/turbo/

i do have a few more of the hot side but with still learning the phone they are not that clear

16. 2turbonova

A pic of the front cover would be helpful but they still appear to be ebay turbos with a wastegate block plate with a v band flange welded to it. If its ebay the front cover id tag will just say "turbocharger" and have a part and serial number.

17. alilley

i added another pic of what i think you are calling the face (where it draws the air in) but there is no tag. there is a flat spot where a tag could easly sit......

here are measrements tthat dad got

cold side 2.163 2.537 hot side 2.068 2.99565

18. Mnlx

Yep, looks like an ebay (china) turbo. There are a few here running them as low buck twins, with ok results, turbines are probably small for a 383 turning any rpm.

19. 2turbonova

Definetly an ebay turbo the pair should work decent on a 383 but they are a touch small for it.

20. alilley

ok just wondering here what size (mm) are they?
    what kind of boost should i expect out of them?
    what size of waiste gate should i run?
    if i go with fuel injection (i am leaning tward it and using the accell dfi engine builder series) what size injectors should i run?
    are they t3/t4 as mentioned?
    would they be bettter fitted for a 355?

most importantly does any one know where i could find a rebuild kit for one of them??or would one of the "general kits" work?
    iehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-T04E-T04B-T3-T4-TURBO-CHARGER-TURBOCHARGER-BOOST-REBUILD-REPAIR-KITS-/190603472574?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c60da2ebe orhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/TURBO-TURBOCHARGER-REPAIR-REBUILD-KIT-T04B-T3-T4-T04E-/300623246176?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item45fe8ab360

what will prob happen is set the truck up using these till something lets loose then upgrade toa good american set