1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

LS ignition

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by blue-boost, Oct 29, 2018.

1. blue-boost

Looking for good options for ignition control for a blowthrough setup on an LS engine. I got pretty comfortable using MSD 6530, but am new to anything LS based. Any tips would be great. What controller? Crank trigger?

2. Mnlx

The common choices would be the msd Ls ign boxes, or you could use a microsquirt, or other efi setup for spark only, and gain some features. The msd is simple and works well.

3. ss496

^this....im currently setting up an ignition only microsquirt....LS coils on a SBC. It was just a locked stock HEI (but still had vacuum advance)

My homebrew E85 carb works well....im too lazy/cheap to convert fully over to EFI in this instance....however, I have the option (among a host of other future expansion) of doing so in the future with the microsquirt.....not an option with the MSD LS boxes.

Microsquirt is about the same price (probably cheaper) as the MSD boxes.......and a bit more work.......but has far more functionality then the MSD LS boxes should you chose to take advantage of it.

4. blue-boost

Thanks for the replies. I've been doing some Google searches as well. I don't have a car or an LS yet, but trying to educate myself so I don't have any big surprises when I start a new project.

5. fastspec2

If your going LS and are concidering either a msd or similair ignition controller, why not just use the already mentioned microsquirt and leave it efi? 4-5 hundred bucks and you get cool things like logging, idle control, realtime tuning ect. You could build your own MS2 or ms3 for possibly cheaper and then run things like a two step, boost by gear, traction control, water injection, boost control, ect ect.

If your hell bent on blow-through, the MSD box does work very well. Coming from stand alone and factory ecu's I did find that some bits of the software were counter-intuitive. Once you get your head around it its pretty easy.

6. blue-boost

By no means hell bent on going blowthrough, there's a lot of expenses going that route. If I could get the ms2 for the $400-$500 range it would be a no brainier to stay EFI. I had such a horrible experience with an EFI turbo car a few years back that I'm still gun-shy, but I'm starting to get over it. I also understand carbs better than I understand my laptop, so going EFI is kinda like the fear of the unknown, LoL if that makes sense.

7. ss496

Just use stock LS fuel rails and intake (depending on goals)..........the ignition, carb and carb manifold would probably cost more....obviously the stock LS efi manifolds are plentiful and cheap.

Megasquirt and some homework has made EFI affordable for the common man....

I still do some carb stuff......but I will never buy a new carb....especially one from a builder..........

8. fastspec2

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/megasquirt-ii-ems-system-smd-pcb3-57-assembled-ecu/
    Add for the harness. but around 550-ish
    Or if you want to solder one togeather yourself for 350-ish
    https://www.diyautotune.com/product/megasquirt-ii-programmable-efi-system-pcb3-0-kit-w-black-case/
    Also efi source has the already modded microsquirt boxes. for about 400. Dont forget to add a stepper motor controller for them if you want to use the factory iac and control idle. There like sixty bucks. So again close to 500. The micro just does not have alot of I/O left over.

9. blue-boost

I'm liking the options here. Goals are to be around 700 fwhp on E85. Hoping that is achievable with a 5.3 or 6.0, valve spring upgrade and one of lil John's turbo cams and appropriate turbo.