1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Should I run ARP rod bolts, or are stock ones strong enough? 6k rpms tops.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 19COBRA93, Jun 7, 2004.

1. 19COBRA93

I have a fresh .040 stock block with forged 8.6 pistons and everything else stock (except the turbo). This motor is going in this week and I'm pretty much out of cash.

Is it worth it to run ARP rod bolts, or are the stock ones strong enough for 6k rpm's or less?

I have never heard of rod bolts breaking from anyone here or on any mustang forum..

What do you guys think?

2. 90coupe

If I already had everything apart, I would spend the $40 and put in ARP bolts.

3. NeedaTurbo

edit, misread the post :loll:

Won't the rotating assembly need to be rebalaced as well if you change the bolts?

4. fast89

if you change bolts then the rods need to be resized. it's cheaper just to buy a set of scat i beams.

5. 94cobra2615

I'm running stock rod bolts on my fresh rebuild.....no problems here.

6. BOSs5.0

I remember asking why central coast mustangs didn't use ARP rod bolts in their brand new short blocks, and the owner said he never seen one of his, or anyones he can remember, blowing the engine up because a rod bolt failed. Seems quite a few guys here split their blocks on stock shortblocks.. which should mean they are running stock bolts as well.

7. dman

my motor had stock rod bolts... it broke a rod and the bolts were still holding nicely... i think RPM hurts rod bolts more than power..

8. SoL_93GT

Yeah save your money, the block will split before the bolts will break.

Briane

9. Erik88GT

That's true. The rods yanking down the piston at high rpms puts the most stress on rod bolts, or rods for that matter.

I'd say unless the stock bolts have been off and on a lot, just run 'em.

10. blackholehunter

That's what I was going to say. Seems like most boosted stock blocks break the block before the rod bolts let go. :cool:

Scott