1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Should I move my rear cage bars for the minitub?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by forced64, Jan 4, 2009.

1. forced64

What do you guys think?
    How much room is there on each side when you go 9 inches from the pinch weld? I would rather not have to move the bars but if it has to be done then I will do it.
    What does it do to the legality of the cage if I have to cut the 6x6 plate in half?
    The minitub kit is a Wolfe one that I have had sitting around for a couple of years and Dave should be shipping out my coilovers, mounting bar and offset lowers Tomorrow. I will be running 15x10 6 inch bs rims with 325/50 M/T DRs.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. jeremy mifflin

they will be in the way....
    wouldnt be to hard to cut them out and make new ones......
    are you doing the tub yourself......
    i can send flying j back with new rear down bars if they will help you :2thumbs:

3. Tims86-9.80

I would if I were you. Cut the bars off the hoop, run bars straight to the rear of the trunk, add a bar across the back and be done. The bar at the back will also help support the rear of the car past the frame notch.

Have fun.

4. forced64

I knew what the answer was going to be I just didn't want to have to redo the bars.

Yeah Jeremy i'm going to give it a shot. Go ahead and send some bars with Jamey if you want. I think he said he was heading down in a couple of weeks. :2thumbs:

5. jeremy mifflin

i will send them with him,,,,

6. My91HotRod

Ahh.. The memories!!

https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=76504.msg801277#msg801277

Aaron theres a couple of pics here that might help you.

7. forced64

Thanks Bill, I remember those pics but I couldn't find them when I searched.
    I kind of like that idea, if it would ever get loose and tag the wall or someone clips you in the rear there would at leat be a little something in there to keep the rear of the car from caving in.

8. forced64

Hey Bill just an off the subject question, was that your old chute mount anchored to the sheet metal of the spare tire well? :eek:

9. My91HotRod

Correct. But the bar was not just welded to the sheet metal, it was on 10x10 1/4" reinforcing plates.

10. Tims86-9.80

When how is the project going? Pictures!

11. forced64

Well I got my stuff from Dave right away. :2thumbs:

I'm trying to decide what I want to do. I was all gung ho on the 325s but now with moving the cage bars it just adds more $$ that I don't have and wasn't planning on spending. I still need to get new 9inch ends, trim down the rear and get the 325s.

I have always been a "do more with less" kind of a guy and the idea of the 275/60 DR has me very interested. I would run the Strange DAs that I got from Dave to get the car down lower and for more adjustabilty. I trimmed the back side of my spare tire well and it looks like the mounting bar from Dave will still fit with my current fuel cell.

I'm still undecided which route I will go but I will be making up my mind in the next couple of days so I can get working on it.

12. Injected65