1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

short travel lifters

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 1sicklx, Aug 8, 2010.

1. 1sicklx

i took my AFR205 heads to a local performance head shop since i had no clue what valve springs were on the heads(id figuere they were probably solid roller springs)since i got the heads used...sure enoght they were solid roller springs and he told me i should run these springs

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-929-16/Application/?prefilter=1

and these are my cam specs (hydralic cam) 574/.574 @ .050 Duration .224/.224 Lobe Centers 114

i went ahead and had him installed the springs, but notice when i got home on the summit site it clearly states recomended cams are solid and flat tap cams for these springs..so my question is will these springs work with this cam? he also wants me to run these short travel hydralic lifters

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-877-16/

do these parts look right? :huh:

2. 1sicklx

im also currently trying to find out who design this cam...maybe he could help me out...i purchased this motor online...

3. Rick 91GT

Those springs are a little heavy for a hyd roller but you should be able to use them. What height did he install them at?

The short travel lifters will take the spring pressure better then a stock lifter, but I typically only use them in higher rpm set-ups (I have never used those exact lifters), and at that point I go solid roller unless the customer has to have a hyd roller cam. Those lifters will use the stock dogbone and spyder arrangement, other wise you need to run 838-16 which run about $400. Personally the cam specs @ .050 look very close to a solid roller I designed and used with great sucess. What are the lobe centerlines and seperations? Do you have the cam card, is is a COMP? What are the lobe numbers?

4. 1sicklx

1.925 =145
    +575=425

thats what is said on the receipt, so im not even sure what the installed height is at (its probably 1.925) i will call him to ask him...

i dont have a cam card, i got the motor off the corral.net (link below) thats all the info i have right now... :(

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1153258

im in the process of getting ahold of the guy how design the cam, he should have the answers to the questions you ask..

can i run regular ford racing hydraulic lifters?

5. Rick 91GT

It appears he installed them at 1.925", and still was able to get 145 on the seat, not sure what the +575 but it appears it is a open pressure of 425 pounds.

Since it is an R block you will need a linked bar style lifter, since the block is not machined to use a stock style lifter retainer, unless he ahd it machined. From what I can see from the one pictire it appears it wasnt, can you get me a better picture of the lifter area.
    So for linked bar hyd roller lifters here are a few choices, TFS PT# is 21400006 around $430, the Comp PT# is a 8931-16 and runs about $530, Lunati make a decent street lifter that runs about $380 PT# 72335LUN.

Hope that helps!

6. 1sicklx

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

link style lifters? dammm that sucks

i think machine the block is out of the question, what are my other options? change valve springs to a friendly hydralic springs? change cam? i have a brand new f cam?

7. 93cobra1928

It has the boss for the spider, just needs to be drilled and tapped

8. 1sicklx

[​IMG]#ad

the block is tap for the spider tray, so regular ford lifters should work?

9. Rick 91GT

Yes looks like you are good to go.....that will save you a lot of cash ;)

10. 93cobra1928

I couldn't tell if the boss was threaded in the pic :doh:

11. jt351

I don't believe those pressures sound to high at all. I have been using anderson ford High rev springs for years now on stock lifters and have seen 7000 rpm no problems, I melted a piston recently and I inspected all retainers push rods and lifters all are perfect, oh the lifters had something like 180,000 miles on them.
    here are the specs on them.
    1.53" diameter, 1.850" install height
    Seat pressure 170lb @ 1.850", open pressure 590lb @ 1.200" MAX LIFT .650"

It is much safer to run a little higher pressure than too low of pressure. Also boost reduces spring pressure.

12. 1sicklx

sorry for the repeted questions im a little :stupid:

so can i run regular ford racing hydralic lifters? yes or no (part# M-6500-R302)

thanks everyone