1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

short block help

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by V8TurboGMC, May 23, 2007.

1. V8TurboGMC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guy..its time to replace the stock shortblock in my car,88 notchback w/t66 and all the supporting stuff,car is extremly well built cept the stock short block.so far car has seen best times of 10.61@134 on M/T drag radialson 11psi

this is also my first shortblock build(on a ford) so im just looking for suggestions on c.i. size i.e...306,331,347 and why to go with that(will be using dart block)

heads are afr 185's with 61cc

looking for about 9:0 comp. and wanting to push around 600-700hp .....turbo max's out at 750(currently on stock block and 11psi 532rwhp)

thanks in advance guys

also need cam suggestions....this is a 99% streetcar so drivability is top priority.right now the car NEVER goes above 175*

2. turbodstang

3. turbodstang

wow lots of advise........................... :bang:

4. Brian Adams

The problem is the question is extremely broad ... and you're pretty much asking for an opinion.

If someone chimes in with "331" what have you really received?

Everyone has an opinion. In a nutshell...

3.4" stroke is the longest reasonable stroke for these engines. More displacement, generally less piston (or rod.) If you're looking for max power displacement is generally the way to go.

The 3.25" stroke allows for a bit more piston on the rotating assembly. It's generally our most common on a boosted street rotating assembly. With a turbo application you're making power with boost, not necessarily pure displacement (vs. a NA assembly for example.)

With the rotating assemblies being the same cost we choose the displacement 99% of the time. They've been proven to be reliable and are an easy way to make more power. If your top end and power adders are capable you can probably make 750 with any of the combo's... it's just easier with a bigger engine.

That should get you started...

Brian