1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Serial to 9 pin cable

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by goinbyyabig, Apr 6, 2009.

1. goinbyyabig

Well, I'm on my way to replace my radio shack cable for the third time after about an hour of use; does anyone have a better solution than this to connect to my BS3? They work well for a while, then the laptop starts freezing, live comm. is interrupted, and eventually the computer doesn't even see the hardware. Any suggestions?

2. Injected65

You might check with the dealer you bought the BS3 through, but my buddy had issues with an aftermarket cable he was using on his car and he was told that by his dealer that he was to only use the cable provided by Meaney and no other.

Chris

3. goinbyyabig

As with the last cable, I replaced it with another one, full function restored. Thanks for the tip; I'll call my dealer and see if he's aware of a special, specific cable.

4. tomyb1976

I got mine from best buy made by dynex,works great so far

5. BottleFed70

I find it hard to believe that serial cables are failing on you. I really suspect that something else is going on. Serial cables don't wear out/fail like that.

Are you rebooting as a troubleshooting step? Have you tried rebooting the laptop then trying the same serial cable?

6. goinbyyabig

Thats exactly what I thought, the cable CANT be bad already, can it? But after changing com. ports to all available, rebooting several times, un- and reinstalling the software, the only way I can get it to work is to replace the cable. My first cable was OK until I let a friend borrow it to go to Englishtown, when I got it back, it wouldn't communicate. Computer can't see the cable is even plugged in on the "switch comm port" window. So, I figured he did something to it, I replaced, works great again. After maybe an hour of BS3 to laptop use, the laptop will loose comm. and asks me to work offline. I can get it to work again, but that's pretty frustrating when you're trying to tune/adjust something and the screen locks up. Well, eventually cable # 2 stopped working alltogether, I got pissed (again), replaced cable and we're up and running, although freezing up occasionally. I agree the cable shouldn't be bad but it's the only way I can get it to work again. I discussed my options with Don Bailey, and I ordered a IBM T30 laptop which has a db9 serial 9 pin connection built in. Should be here tomorrow, we'll see if that fixes me up.

7. LowBoostinT76

I own two cables too :-(

8. goinbyyabig

Update, new IBM T30 laptop arrived this morning, loaded up software, amazingly, it works great! :chacha: :2thumbs: :cheers: Thanks again Don. :bow:

9. unforgiven

Serial to 9 pin cables are fragile or flawed by design, I have had trouble with them as well. Glad to see the new laptop is working for you!