1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Sequentioal twin turbo set up

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Greg_E, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Greg_E

Hi All

I have a 2000 Land Rover Defender 110 TD5 and am busy getting a sequential twin turbo set up installed.
    I will be retaining the original garrett turbo (GT20, if I remember correctly), and adding a small turbo in series with the original turbo to reduce the turbo lag that these vehicles suffer from.

I have 2 questions:

1. Waste gate setup. Should the smaller turbo's waste gate be set to open at a slightly lower pressure than the larger turbo to ensure that it does not over speed? What is the correct way to set this type of system up? Does the pressure feed to both the waste gate actuators come from the same point - (after the 2nd turbo)

2. Can I just "T" off the oil feed to the turbos? - Parrallel - Oil flow may be a problem?
    Or should they run in series, through the small turbo then into the larger one. - I am worried about heating up the oil too much this way.

PS the smaller turbo will most likely be from an 1.7 Diesel Opel Corsa pick up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Greg

2. Forcefed86

Sounds like a compound setup not sequential. A true sequential setup would be very difficult for the average DIY guy. Your idea will work though. I'd put a "T" on your current feed and run it to each turbo. Your gate settings are a wash. No way of knowing until you do it. Would be different for every setup.

IMO it would be easier to grab a compound unit off a production vehicle and adapt it than to try and add another turbo to your existing setup. Something like this from a newish Mitsu canter diesel truck.

FWIW there is one FS for $350 shipped over.com classifieds.

compound1.jpg #ad

compound1.jpg #ad

compound2 mitsu canter truck.jpg #ad

3. Greg_E

Just for the record. I am fairly new to turbo charging jargon. So yes it may well be a compound turbo set up. Not exactly sure what the difference is between sequential and compound.

I assume sequential will use one OR the other turbo and not both at the same time as it were. This would in effect mean that there would need to be some sort of exhaust switching valve to redirect the exhaust gasses from one turbo to the other.

Am I correct?

Greg

4. Forcefed86

Correct. Small turbo would be geared toward low rpm and be phased out by the larger turbo in the upper rpm. 93+ rx7 used this setup.

5. jeff115

would you by chance know the specs on those turbos, and/or engine code that they came on? did an ebay search and couldn't find any for sale.

6. Forcefed86

I believe the seller said it was a 14bish for the small turbo and a 60ish mm comp wheel for the larger. You can ask him, I'm not real familiar with them.

7. jeff115

ok thanks. Sorry for the little derail!