1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Seeking Input on Turbo / Cam

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 454ChevyLuv, Oct 27, 2022.

1. 454ChevyLuv

Hello Everyone,

Building a 454, all forged internals, 4 bolt main, hydraulic roller (would consider solid roller), about 9.25 to 1 static compression, blow through 750, worked 781 heads with 2.19/1.88 stainless valves, etc. It's going in a 79 C10 that will be a weekend cruiser and the occassional track runs.

My questions are these:

1. Would like to hit 600-700 hp off boost and realistically 800-900+ hp on boost. Considering going with meth / water injection system as well. I'm looking at the T6 92 mm billet wheel Bullseye 1.32 a/r turbo or similar. Want a turbo that will hit the goals mentioned above and that will leave me some room to grow in the future if I want. Thoughts on the Bullseye turbo or another comparable turbo you woukd recommend? I want quality but at the same time don't want to break the bank. Would like to avoid Chinese stuff.

2. Any recommendations on a matched retro roller cam, lifter, spring, and timing kit that you think would fit my needs. Again want good quality without breaking the bank. Like to keep the RPMs umder 7k or so. Like the Lunati Voodoo cams as I have used them before, but wanted to ask the pros here for their input.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  2. bbi_turbos

I'd suggest the 80mm sxe with the 1.58 housing. Not much difference in spool but friendlier on the top end.
    You'll be needing around 10psi in the manifold, probably 12psi at the turbo assuming there's a 2psi pressure loss through the intercooler.
    If you want room to grow id suggest the s591 with 1.15 housing. The 91mm is actually too big for the current goals, but allows plenty of room to grow on both sides. For instance bumping up to 16psi would put you over 1,000hp without changing anything.

3. 454ChevyLuv

Thanks for the info. I will look into the 591.