1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

second fuel pump switched for boost

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by fxbdydriver, Mar 3, 2015.

1. fxbdydriver

Hey guys,
    Building my first turbo car... My 6.0 lq4 with bw s475 e85 non intercooled. I have a holley dominator fuel pump which is actually two pumps in one, with two separate trigger wires. Pump is louder when both are running so I was considering having the second come on when necessary. Somehow referencing boost? How can this be done safely?

2. 91turboterror

With a Hobbs switch

3. M&M Turbochargers

i would consult with holley and see if running one side would hurt the pump, place a hobbs switch(pressure switch) in the cold side, or may be able to trigger with a map sensor

the summit catalog states you can run one then when racing can turn on the other

4. H.P.Ranch

Just a reminder when running E85 the pump is limited to 70% of the h.p. it can supply on gas. Something I forgot when switching from 93oct. to E85.:encouragement:

5. Turbo-Box

What are you running for engine management? You can configure an output on most EFI systems to turn on the pump when the TPS gets over a certain percentage. That's what I'm planning to do.

6. fxbdydriver

I have microsquirt for engine management. I have one output for fuel pump, unsure if another output is available for second.

7. alain

I run a ViPEC ecu and have two Bosch pumps in my twin turbo Dart. I run one pump while cruising (which I switch (electrically) after every drive to ensure equal operating hours on both pumps) and the second comes on after meeting one of 2 requirements I programmed in:
    1. TP over 60%
    2. Boost (reference from the MAP sensor) is more than 2psi.

8. 20psiofevil

I run my 2nd pump wired to a nason sq boost switch to come on at 5psi boost.

9. alain

...oh, I just remembered I have a third parameter programmed in and that's injector duty cycle is over 40%.