1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Seamed mild steel bad for turbo piping?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by MEAN_SBC, May 8, 2006.

1. MEAN_SBC

Here's a question... Someone on another website told me that using seamed mild steel tubing will not work, because with all the heat the turbo generates it will crack at the seams.... I figured the two hottest pieces would be the 14gauge aluminized bends I used for the merge... Every bit of mild steel tubing I used is seamed.... Can you even get thin wall mild steel exhaust tubing that isn't seamed??? I bought bends that are designed for building headers from a header company... Why would they crack???? And if you read this Monty, I was just looking for more opinions.... ;)

2. mfpmax

Have them show you a picture of some pipe that cracked at the seem.

3. SlowJoe

most kits on here have seams, nothing wrong with it.

4. MEAN_SBC

Yeah guys, that's what I was thinking... I frequent this board like crazy, and I've never heard of it happening... I figured if it was a big problem, then people would be posting up about it...

Thanks yall... :D