1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

SCT chip tuning question

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by ThomasWPT, Jul 2, 2013.

1. ThomasWPT

I had a twin-turbo 331 ci, 9:1 comp, mild hyd roller cam, gt40 lower and Downs box upper manifold. Engine ran great from 10-18 lbs boost, even when I changed to different trim turbos.
    I had the engine rebuilt to 333 ci, 8.7:1 comp, same cam, RPM II intake.
    I have an SCT chip with the stock A9l computer.

The rebuilt engine runs fine at 8 and 10 lbs boost with air/fuel of low 11's. I increased the boost to 12 lbs today and the air/fuel jumped to low 12's. Does this sound like a tune problem or possibly point to something else like a clogged fuel filter/lack of fuel delivery. I expect the RPM II intake flows better, but if the air/fuel was fine with it at 10 lbs, isn't it logical it would be ok with a little more boost. I just don't want to take it in to be retuned when it could be a different issue entirely, and then my tune get's messed up.

2. Disney Lincoln

It could point to the tune not being populated at the higher airflow numbers, or that you have just pegged the MAF.

3. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Agree that almost assuredly this is a pegged MAF - assuming you have enough fuel pump. If the top fuel rows are set to a .8 lamda (for instance), even if the load exceeds the load for the top row, the PCM will still command the lamba in the top row provided it's able properly calculate load (ie, maf not pegged). Can't blame this on the tune, not really, unless the tuner knew up front you planned to go that high on boost, and actually was able to log it at that level to get the A/F right. You try not to go too high on load in the fuel and spark tables, unless you know it's going to be used, because you end up losing resolution (there's a limited number of rows to work with) even though the PCM does scale between rows. Unless the tuner wasn't worth his salt, I can't see him not populating the table because he's going to need to rescale them since it only goes to .9 load in the stock tune.

4. ThomasWPT

Can the MAF be pegged at only 12 lbs boost? The MAF never pegged at much higher boost levels (18+ lbs) on the 331, so why would it peg now with 2 more cubic inches and a better intake?

5. TTF/Ken Staff Member

I only paid attention to the 2nd paragraph in your first post didn't see the 18 lbs part. My bad.

Now, has anything changed concerning placement of the maf, intake tube, etc? Ultimately it's load we (actually the tune) is concerned with - and the compression ratio of the engine has changed as well as the intake, so think in terms of load instead of boost. At one atmosphere, the new setup flowing 5% more air compared to the new engine - based on calculated the volume at TDC at 8.7:1 compared to 9:1 - and that's assuming all things are equal which they aren't - you've got a new intake manifold as well. So volumetric efficiency has changed. When it clips the A/F ratio is the change sudden and then gets leaner as load increases, or does is it stay steady?

6. jaredsamurai

I'd monitor fp inside the car while its happening. See if it starts dropping. Check pre/post filters too. I had a similar problem and it was just the pre filter slowly getting clogged. My pump was slowly getting louder too.

7. ThomasWPT

Yep, turned out to be a partially clogged fuel filter. It didn't look bad, but had some debris in the scintered bronze element. Cleaned it well and fired her up. 12 and 15 lbs boost ran great with a steady air/fuel ratio of 11.2. Man I like the easy fixes. Cheers.