1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Volkswagen Beetle (new) leak detection pump open circuit issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by 512Mach1, Feb 15, 2010.

1. 512Mach1

Girlfriend bought an '00 Beetle with the 2.0L 8 valve engine (base gasoline 4 cyl) that had a stripped timing belt. So it was cheap and not running but supposedly running fine before the timing belt issue. I got the head R and R'ed with a new valve, seals, and cleaned/lapped the other valves. The car starts and runs but doesn't idle smoothly when cold and it throws the P1473 code which is Evap LDP (leak detection pump) Open Circuit. Where is this pump located and what is the likely cause? Fuse number 43 is good. The fuel pump was supposedly replaced shortly before the timing belt went. I've heard the fuel pump relay can also be the culprit but the engine is getting fuel. Can that relay go bad in a way that the fuel pump works but the LDP doesn't?

2. slowboat

Pump is in pass side rear wheel well along with the canister.

3. 512Mach1

Thanks. I'll have to try getting the car out of the snow and up onto my concrete slab to check it out closer. I hate all this snow and was hoping I could check some fuses/relays first before having to dig into the actual pump/canister.

4. vwdave

You usually do not have to redo the cylinder head when the timing belt breaks on a 2.0 8v. Its very rare for them to have Piston to Valve interference. Just change the belts and the water pump and let it fly.

My record so far is 40 minutes for a timing belt/water pump replacement.

5. 512Mach1

Yeah, this one had one bent valve. I replaced the belt and pump and quickly found the engine had a serious miss. So the head had to come off. Considering it had 173,000 miles, I figured it was good to get the head cleaned up with new seals anyway. From how the exhaust seats were getting pitted, it was good to pull the head anyway. I could see doing the timing belt job in 40 mins. It took me a little over an hour without ever having done it before, but I don't think I could do it in much less than an hour without a faster air ratchet and all the proper extensions/sockets at hand.

6. 512Mach1

due to all the snow, I can't tear into the car much right now. Sooo, I was wondering if this LDP circuit issue may be related to a relay down by the steering column or some such. The cruise control doesn't come on and the dome lights don't come on when the door (driver or passenger) is opened. Could it be one relay or some such causing it?

7. Agent86

Whats that you say?? all i can see is your avatar :D

8. vwdave

Doesnt sound like one common problem. Unfortunately, you kinda need a Vag-Com scanner to really dive into these cars.

The chick is christinamodel.com

9. enigami

9 times out of 10 the LDP on the VW's ends up being that the pump itself is bad. Unfortunately it sounds like you have some wiring issuses as well and that could be the cause of your problem. As far as the dome lights not coming on I would open up the rubber that covers the wiring from the body to the door. Most times you will find broken wires in that covering.

I feel for ya man, your running into the awesomely terrible wiring nightmare that is german cars. Good luck.

bridal-shoal