1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

any auto body guys here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by boostediroc, Mar 15, 2014.

1. boostediroc

im having some issues and didnt even paint the engine bay today

anyways i started with 8 grams of pearl on the black base but it wasnt enough

eventually i got upto 35 grams of pearl per sprayable quart of paint
    we were testing on my junk iroc hood which honestly wasnt preped very well so it will look like tons of orange peel but we just wanted to get a feel for how much pearl to add

anyways heres some pics

the hood right before we sprayed it
    [​IMG]#ad

black base with 35 grams of pearl per quart and one coat of clear ( indoors in the shade)
    it shows up jet black just like it should
    [​IMG]#ad

then we took the hood outside , and it shows up the blue pearl and metalic in it
    looks ok from this angle ( not enough pearl yet trying to get a deeper blue when in the sun)
    [​IMG]#ad

then we switch angles and u can see striping everywere
    [​IMG]#ad

then from this side it looks even again
    [​IMG]#ad

anyways i ran out of paint trying to get it right and had a bunch of clear left so i threw some pearl in just the clear and sprayed it over the black primer i love the color but it doesnt give me the color changing effect i want

it looks like its got stripes and squares in it but thats because i sprayed 4 different mixtures of clear and pearl in the same area

upclose so u can see the color
    [​IMG]#ad

and far away so u can see the different mixtures
    [​IMG]#ad

this was the first area i did with the pearl in the clear and then went over it with some small metal flake in the clear , like the effect but the metal flake color was to dark compared to the pearl
    [​IMG]#ad

anyways i have a much more experianced friend comming by so we can see if he can spray without getting any striping , if he can were going to paint the car with the pearl in the black base like the first few pics except go from 35 grams a quart to 50 to bring out the blue more

if we cant get that to spray without striping i will spray the whole car black then mix the pearl in the clear and spray the car the color that u see in the last 3 or so pics since we know we can get that to come out even

maybe somone here can help me figure out why we are getting the stripes in the black base blue pearl mixwe have tried different overlaps, different air presures , moving faster or slower etc and they just wont go away

it almost seems like the stripes are comming in on the very edge of the spray pattern on both the top and bottom of the spray

the gun has a 1.5 tip in it

and please dont hound me about the organge peel and bad prep i know about it, the hood was a junk hood and was only preped enough to test painting on before i tried to spray the actual car

i can promise u the car will be preped 1000x better

this is the look im going after btw
    View attachment 658908 #ad

2. Krandmar

The typical stuff to try with tiger stripes:
    Faster gun travel
    Gun farther away
    Less material and higher pressure
    More overlap
    Box pattern

Make sure you gun is working properly and you're getting a pattern that does not have any 'fat' or light areas.

Make sure the paint is very well mixed and staying that way in the cup.

In top coats a lot of what fights the striping will result in a rougher surface but a heavy flowing coat is also what likes to stripe. In a two stage with pearl in the base you can't cheat too much. It has to lay nicely or the clear will highlight the look of pebbles in the color.

There's a lot of pearl in the base coat ( not the level of what you'er doing though) on this job and it was a pain shooting what was basically a wall. I have a few shaded areas but I was surprised how evenly it went down. I bought a new Iwata just for this job. It was worth it.

IMGP3150.jpg #ad

IMGP3120.jpg #ad

IMGP9642.jpg #ad

IMGP9620.jpg #ad

3. boostediroc

thanks im thinking we need about 45-50 grams of pearl powder in each sprayable quart to get the color effect i want in the sun.
    it was suggested on another forum , that i spray the coat as normal then drop air presure to 5 psi right away on go perpendicular to the way i sprayed and do one panel at a time so ill try that next time
    today i tried more and les spaint in the spray, different distances from the panel, and also different overlaps and moving at different speeds

im going to buy some more cheap paint to mix up and see if i can get it right , if not im just going to stick with a solid color and maybe throw some flake on it

4. boostediroc

im not even going to try again even though we identified and fixed the issue we were having.
    i just got back from my local body shop and as long as i have the car fully preped and ready to go including masked off they will spray it for 250$'s
    i think that prices is worth it alone just for the fact the car will be in a real paint booth not the homemade one we made

instead of custom mixing my paint i just ordered a whole kit of midnight blue pearl which should be close to what i was going for