1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo oil feed flange

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by ben_jones, Sep 9, 2023.

1. ben_jones

So working on my build today i went to put on the 4AN oil feed flange onto the turbo and noticed it has a restrictor made in to it, I have both, an oil feed flange WITH a restrictor made in to it, and one without, which should I use?? I have a high flow high volume oil pump, but I figured the more oil I could get to the turbo the better when it comes to bearings and temperature control, am I wrong? Should I just run an open 4AN line to the turbo or use the restrictor instead?? Any feedback on what you guys run or what you've ran in to over the years would be greatly appreciated.

2. bbi_turbos

Restrictors are for ball bearing turbos. Journal bearing turbos do not get restrictors.

SpeedyBuick likes this.
  3. TurboSnake281

Use the restrictor! Trust me!

4. TurboSnake281

There is nothing worse than your turbo exhausting burnt oil from the oil escaping the turbo center section into the exhaust side of the turbo wheel!

5. TurboSnake281

My journal bearing turbo and my new turbonetics ball bearing turbo do what I just said and they both had no restrictor!

6. ben_jones

I think I'm just going to buy the turbo smart 0811 oil psi regulator in the 4an size and put it right at the inlet of the turbo. Supposedly that will keep it under 40#, atleast from what I'm seeing it will.

7. TurboSnake281

i know what your talking about, but the restrictor limits the amount of oil that is entering the turbo. If you figure out where to buy all the do-dad parts to put the turbosmart psi regulator on, please let me know where you bought them from.

8. ben_jones

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tbs-ts-0811-0012

This is what I got last night. Went on and got 2 of them so I can put one on each turbo, instead of having 1 big line going to a Y feeding both turbos, I have a line going to each from the oil filter sandwich ports.

9. TurboSnake281

cool. I was speaking about the tiny short AN line that goes between the regulator and the turbo. If it was me I would run the regulator with a restrictor on the turbo also just to hammer all the nails in the coffin. “Never Trust a salesman”

10. bbi_turbos

That's the worst advice ever, a restrictor does the same thing a pressure relief will do, but worse. A restrictor is going to reduce pressure/ flow 100% of the time, where a prv will only relieve what it needs to.

If you have to run a restrictor on a journal bearing turbo to keep it from leaking past the seals, then you didn't spend enough on your turbo.

ummduh and 91turboterror like this.
  11. underpsi68

Precision turbo recommended the pressure regulator over the restrictor, if needed. The restrictor could foam up the oil with high pressure going thru it.

There weren't selling me anything.

TurboSnake281 and ben_jones like this.
  12. ben_jones

Just get a 4an 90 with both ends female, put the 90 on the turbo inlet fitting, put the regulator on the 90, the 90 will keep it up it won't weigh enough to hurt anything.

13. TurboSnake281

Nice! I was looking for that 90 with both ends female to try exactly what you did! Where did you buy that 90 fitting?

14. ben_jones

I just Googled 4an female to 4an female 90 degree fitting and it pulled it up from Amazon. Instead of a complete 90 degree angle I got the tubed 90 so it makes the angle gradual instead of just going into a wall and then down, just to help flow wise.

15. TurboSnake281

I’m trying to get it all to fit with the obvious space restrictions, which one exactly did you get?

16. ben_jones

They're both the same just different suppliers.

17. ben_jones

I try to get everything from evil energy though their prices are better and same quality as any other fitting.

TurboSnake281 likes this.
  18. TurboSnake281

Thank you for the information I will order everything!

19. underpsi68

I have a turbo smart regulator with gauge and -4 fittings that I am going to sell if your interested.

20. TurboSnake281

I have a ball bearing turbo now. Since restrictors are for ball bearing turbos how do you feel about it having a restrictor and a regulator at the same time?

The reason I don’t like restrictors is because the tiny hole that is in them can get clogged, but if having one solves a problem then I don’t mind, I really don’t care if my turbo implodes.