1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Scavenge pump problems

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Noah16, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Noah16

Hey everyone,
    Having some issues on a new build. 2000 trans am, LS platform, turbo up front and very low. Currently have a scavenge pump set up that goes uphill from the turbo drain (not ideal). It is a turbo werx EXA pump, which they claim can suck uphill. After roughly 30-60 seconds after startup, it begins smoking real bad and can see oil coming out of the exhaust.

My drain is setup with a tight 90 right out of the turbo, -10 an line to scavenge pump, and -10 into the oil pan. So obviously it isn’t pulling the oil out fast enough and allowing oil to back up into turbo. I did test the pump by taking the line off of the oil pan and put it into a bucket. It takes about 8 seconds before you can see oil coming out after startup.

I know ideally I would put a tank under the turbo for the oil to drain into first, but I have absolutely no room for that. I can maybe get away with a full flow 90 rather than the tight one, but not sure that will fix the issue. I’ll attach some pictures of my current setup.

Any suggestions?

IMG_9156.jpeg #ad

IMG_9157.jpeg #ad

IMG_9158.jpeg #ad

IMG_9159.jpeg #ad

IMG_9161.jpeg #ad

IMG_9162.jpeg #ad

IMG_9163.jpeg #ad

IMG_9165.jpeg #ad

2. Pro-SC

Noah16 likes this.
  3. bbi_turbos

Those pumps are gear pumps, gear pumps work best with a "solid" fluid. The oil coming out of a turbo is pretty much 100% foam. That's why adding a tank works, it helps to seperate the air from the oil.

You need to use something that moves air just as well as fluid. Vane pump comes to mind, in really not sure what all is out there that are vane.

There's diaphragm pumps also but I would have a hard time trusting one of those for very long, especially when dealing with 200°+ oil.

Found this on Amazon, https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...CBAxUgg4kEHTYgB3IQwg8oAHoECAYQUg&nis=7&adurl=

Should work excellent.

Procon makes rotary vane pumps for beverages, but they work amazingly well for oil pumping. I've been wanting to use one to build a scavenge pump in house to solve problems like these, just haven't had the time.

Noah16 likes this.
  4. tbird

Tilton oil cooler pumps are my go to. Diaphragm pump so it will pull vacuum and it states it will pump vertical which it does.
    Tilton 527 is continuous duty. 524 is a bit cheaper but needs cool time after an hour of use, so it should work if its just a race car.

72gts, Wallace and Pro-SC like this.
  5. sam51

that 90 fitting is killing your flow to the pump, I run a turbo werx pump but I ran a 10an straight out of the bottom of the turbo and bent the line over to the pump in a gradual 90 degree angle and it works fine, mines a remote setup out back and the only time I had an issue was when the power wire to the pump was accidently left disconnected and started the motor and filled my exhaust pipe with oil.

6. Noah16

Yeah.. I know it’s not a great setup with that tight 90 fitting, but definitely don’t have room to get a gradual 90 with just line. I was thinking maybe a normal AN 90 that can flow a bit more would help but haven’t tried it yet. Room under the turbo is very minimal unfortunately.

7. tbird

I would agree on the 90 being an issue especially on a gravity drain. I have a 90 hose end at the turbo on my tbird with the tilton pump. No issue.

The exa pump is like a mech oil pump. They loose prime and dont realy pull or pump anything if the gears dont have fresh supply of oil.

8. bbi_turbos

Exactly what I said earlier, you need a pump that will move air/ pull a vacuum. Either a diaphragm or the pump I linked to would work

Noah16 and tbird like this.
  9. Noah16

Have you had any issues with reliability of the Tilton pump?

10. Noah16

Yeah thanks for the insight. Think i might try one of those Tilton diaphragm pumps that was recommended. Oddly enough, the mounting plate looks to be almost exactly the same, so should be an easy swap and test. I’ve currently got a restrictor in the feed line, would you recommend i remove that with this style pump?

11. Noah16

Update on this-
    Took all of the piping off to see where all the oil might have traveled. Cold side has a pool of oil in it. Wastegates had oil in them from the boost reference line. Intercooler has a lot of oil sitting in it. And obviously exhaust has a good amount. Seems as if it’s not pumping at all…

My plan forward is to try switching the pump out with a Tilton diaphragm pump and see if that helps. Thanks for the tips everyone

12. fastspec2

Am I the only one that uses a 30$ carter vane pump? I've had great luck with them, being oil lubed they last forever, I even have good luck with the cheap amazon knock offs.

13. bbi_turbos

I recommended the vane pump, better than diaphragm, you never know when that diaphragm will pop a hole in it. Almost all of the diesels that have vacuum pumps, use vane pumps.

Yes,and youll need a vacuum gauge on your drain. Take the restrictor out and run the pump to make sure your pulling a vacuum. Don't need ALOT of vacuum, just a couple pounds will do

14. tbird

Havent had a Tilton fail.
    Im not against vane pumps. Just stating what I know works.
    Some new engines use vane pump for the oil pump.
    I guess it depends on its ability. Holley old school colored fuel pumps are vane style. They dont move oil well at all.

72gts likes this.