1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Fi tech for blow though

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by ng8264723, Jan 25, 2023.

1. ng8264723

Is anyone running one? I am debating whether to do a carb or a FItech

2. silver82GT

I ran one for 4 years. They work OK but the one I had was very limited in what it could do as far as data logging and timing control. The newer ones might be better. I replaced it with a Holley Super Sniper which is much in many ways but does have a few potential headaches of it's own.

3. ng8264723

I am putting the car together now. I have a build thread in the other forum. The engine is a 74 351W with alum heads and o rings. I am using T-3 60/63 and am only looking for 6-650HP. Reed turbo said that was very doable. The tranny is an old school toploader. So I really was looking for a unit that I could slap on and drive. I do not plan on doing a lot of tuning. Or should I say I do not want to. The car will be a street car with maybe a track outing once or twice. The body is pretty mint and It is a full interior A/C car. I want to drive it on the street to work etc

4. B E N

Should work fine for that. Once you get past the initial setup and have the startup dialed in they are pretty worry free. As mentioned the logging is pretty rudimentary... think of it more like an advanced carb than a high tech EFI system.

I wouldn't hesitate on one for a driver at modest power levels. If you have the coin the Holley units are a little nicer, and are part of a larger "ecosystem", with superior tech support.

You are in kind of a tough zone though, the Fitech 600 power adder is borderline for your power number. I have run a 600PA up a bit further with higher fuel pump pressure and 93% injector duty cycle but I wouldn't really recommend that. This is one of those times you need to really sit down and make sure you understand your goals. If you'll want to turn it up later stepping up on the EFI now is going to save you down the road.

5. tbird

My buddie has played with a couple Fitechs. Very limited. He said the fuel and timing tables dont have very good resolution. Software is kinda clunky. That being said. Peeps have run them successfully.
    captaingriffin has used Fi on his turbo 460 with great results.

6. silver82GT

I wouldn't bother with the 600 in a boosted application, go straight to the 1200. The 1200 ran fine on my 347 which was making about 750 hp. The Fitech is a lot more tolerant of stray RF noise and dirty power than the Holley in my experience. The Holley must be connected to the battery(power and ground) whereas I ran the Fitech power directly from the post on my Powermaster alternator. My Holley is very touchy about what spark plug wires you use, it won't work with the Taylor 8mm ones I used to run. On my car I had to buy the MSD wires Holley suggested for it to run properly.

The timing table on the Fitech I had was only 3x3 so not much resolution there and I didn't use it since I already had an MSD 6530. The data logging on my Fitech was down loaded as a spreadsheet and was very difficult to use and read so if you want data logging there are better choices.

You will require an external fuel pressure regulator for either one as their internal regulators get overwhelmed by any large capacity fuel pump.

Tuning isn't required with the Fitech, just put in the info on the handheld and start the car. It tunes and adjusts fuel trim off the wideband.

Hopefully this helps, PM me if you have any other questions.