1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

SBF Dart Sportsman oil leak.

Discussion in 'Pushrod Tech' started by Turbohwagon, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Turbohwagon

So I have the following Combo:

363 8.2" decked SBF Dart Sportsman Block (Bored 4.125)
    Cometic Head gaskets
    ARP 1/2" Head studs (Torqued to spec, w/ moly lube)
    Block and heads were both machined to the correct surface roughness for the MLS gaskets (Very smooth)

So when the engine runs for about 5 minutes it starts to drip some oil. I wanted to know where it was coming from, so I added some UV dye to my engine oil and as it turns out the oil is leaking from the far outside back corner at the head/block/HG seam, right under the Outside far back head stud boss. I copper coated these Cometics like a few sources said to, however I still have a leak. I didn't get the instruction sheet for this block, as I bought it as a short block from another guy. The heads/gaskets/studs were all assembled on a stand, so i'm fairly certain I didn't accidentally slide a head or knick a gasket putting it together.

2. racesloth

How was the surface finish on block's deck? The MLS gaskets need a smooth finish. Possibley, the leak might be from the top side of the head. Don't know about the Cometic, but on the Felpro's for an 8.2" deck the rivet can get in the way and cause a leak.

3. Turbohwagon

Both heads and deck had the correct finish.

4. ducatibrian

Rivet in the way or gasket short at head face? No silicone applied in corners of head / gasket?

5. Turbohwagon

I didn't know anything about the silicone around the corners, but the driver's side doesn't leak at all? I don't see a rivet there either.

6. ducatibrian

A little dab at the block, head, gasket in the corners seems to help head off small leaks. I have seen rivets need to be removed for proper fit as well.
    Just a thought...

7. Turbohwagon

I made sure the rivets were not in the way, because I have heard of that too. Any tips for cleaning off old copper coat? lol.

8. ducatibrian

Yeah, elbow grease!

9. Turbohwagon

I feel compelled to kill it with felpro MLS.

10. Gen1SVE

+1

Both of these issues need to be addressed.

11. Turbohwagon

When you guys say the corners of the head gaskets, are you talking about up near the intake gaskets where they sometimes are too short? I know i hit that with some right stuff.

12. colormebad

I worked on 2 with that same problem..It was too much copper coat causing the leakage...Put a new set back on dry and no more problems...I think its because they sprayed all layers insted of just the top and bottom, and got too much on them