1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

sbc turbo help deciding turbo

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by turbo1969camaro, Mar 31, 2010.

1. turbo1969camaro

ok im finally going to get to finish my latest turbo project and need help deciding which turbo would be best for my setup. i have a sbc 350 and im planning on running 8 to 12 lbs of boost and hoping for about 500 to 550 hp turning around 6200 to 6500rpms for now nothing crazy to start out. I have been told the master power t70 with .96ar would be the perfect turbo. Would the mp t76 or s400 be better? so what do yall think t70, t76 or s400. i like the idea of the s400 71mm with 1.32 ar leaving me room to grow but would it be to big. any input is greatly appreciated

2. littlebluefoxbody

An S400 75mm with a 1.32 is a great turbo for your sized motor. The larger turbo will move more air and heat the air less. Spool can be around 3k and it can support more power that you need leaving you room to grow.

3. big dave

For the price you can't beat the Master Power 70mm. I'm currently running one on a stock 6.0/LQ4 with only an LS6 cam and intake manifold the car put down 500/500 to the ground on only 8.5lbs through a 4L80 and Edge 3200 converter. This is with very minimal timing and an extremely fat air fuel ratio (10.8-11.00). The car is very fun to drive with near instant boost yet no signs of falling off up high. For me I would do the same turbo over again so long as you are not looking to go crazy in the horsepower department.... I imagine this turbo would be all but done as it approaches 600rwhp on a 6 liter motor.

I am only set to shift at 6200 so with the added rpm (6500) you would be able to make a little more power so long as you've got good valvetrain. Mine currently sees valve float in the upper 5k rpm range using the stock LS6 valve springs so if you don't have some good springs you will want some. The power levels above are also on extremely poopy AZ 91 octane as well so if you have 93octane where you are you can expect more....

I vote for MP70 if you want a great turbo and are on a budget. If money is not a concern then obviously there are several other options that will get you to your goals with ease for more money.

Hope that helps...

4. sbcfox

Any luck deciding on a turbo and if so how is going I'm thinking to do a set up pretty close to what you described

5. turbo1969camaro

i guess ill go with MP t70 with .96 ar it sound like it wont be to small for my setup but also wont allow much room to grow. but after looking around looks like the t70 will be alot easier to mount than that big s400.

6. turbo iroc

Id go with the mpt76 its only a couple of dollars more its physically the same size as the mpt70 same It flange and will give you plenty of room to grow. It will support 800rwhp if you turn the boost up to 20 Psi or so. It'll make 550-600 at about 10 Psi also the lag wouldn't be much worse than the t70.

7. vern

I agree the t76 is the way to go. I mapped my 327 on a t 70 and the turbo looks to small .