1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

opinion on exhaust setups

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by silverado, Jan 6, 2015.

1. silverado

I have a 2013 silverado 5.3 bone stock, with 74/75 precision, 3" down pipe into 4" to magnaflow 36" round muffler, it's the best sound I have gotten out of it so far, my question is would it's sound better if I Y it at the down pipe and run dual 3" into 14" long magnaflows. Trying to get rid of a choppy sound around 2,000 rpms, looking for a more smoother sound. And would there be any benefit to do it like this. Thanks

2. malibuguy

Dual 3" is more area then one 4" so it will most likely amplify the choppy sound

3. silverado

Do you think there would be any advantages

4. malibuguy

not really. no real gains in going much larger then the exducer of the turbo.

where exactly is the muffler & what do you have for a tailpipe?

5. silverado

Muffler is in factory location, and no tailpipe due to 5/7 drop

6. malibuguy

Well no tailpipe is the main reason for the choppy sound. Get the exhaust to exit out from under the truck and that will help alot. Look into oval tubing for tight clearance

7. silverado

Ok thanks

8. silverado

Well just out of curiosity, I decided to build a dual setup, I went from single 3" down pipe to a 3" lazy y, then 3" dual to 18" 5x8 magnaflows, then up and over axle and out the back, result was a good sound, but I feel like I might have lost a little power, egt a little higher, and slower to cool off, so I think I will be putting my 4" pipe to 30" long magnaflow dumped at axle, back on. Thought i would share this info Maybe this could help people decide later on.

9. Orr89rocz

I'd like to see track or dyno figures to confirm, i cant see how you would lose power on dual 3 after the y vs single 4. Should see reduction in back pressure unless the 5x8's are that restrictive vs single 4 you had