1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

sbc custom intake manifold

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by DragginSS, Jul 26, 2009.

1. DragginSS

I have been researching making an intake manifold. I have had lil success in find much info. the main thing i am looking for is where i can find the aluminum flanges. i can't find them anywhere.

does anyone have links or info on how to make one?

thanks,
    chris

2. TTAWD

Hot Rod,Super Chevy,Chevy Hi Performance mag coverd a sheet metal build about a year ago.
    I don't remember witch one but it was a cool deal.

3. DragginSS

did it give details on where they got parts for the intake? mainly the flanges?

4. TTAWD

A manifold like this is fabed from scratch.
    If there's a "kit" out there that's news to me.

5. Drac0nic

Either get some made CNC or bandsaw an old intake for some flanges. JMHO on it, a stock Vortec or TBI intake manifold would be good candidates for this. I have actually been thinking about just "re tubing" a stocker TPI intake with large diameter runners and leaving it at that.

6. rugger

I don't know if you've figured out the flanges yet, but most guys with CNC capability can take a pencil rub of the intake side of the hub, scan it and translate it to cut data. Let me know if you need any help.

7. Wild83C10

Whay are you looking for a custom sheetmetal intake?

8. DragginSS

I can make it to the way i like. looks and performance. plus i am a do it your self type person so anything i can fab myself i am going to do.

9. Wild83C10

Not to discourage you or anything, but there are car builders out there that have built multiple sheetmetal intakes and still don't flow or perform as well as the off the shelf stuff from the big companies. A lot of R&D and knowledge goes into most of the intakes. You may end up with more time and money into an intake that hurts performance.

If you end up going for it, Good Luck and be sure to keep us informed.

10. 10secgoal

Really ? Were did you read something like that ? I have done a bit f research for mine, and it's not really all about flow, especially with a boosted engine. But tunning/timing the runner lengths for max trq, and creating a plenum volume especially for your engine.

11. MONTEGOD7SS

I know a custom manifold maker and he says the hardest part about making them isn't just getting them right for the combination, but getting them right for the combination and fitting in the space provided. Like 10secgoal said, there are plenty of calculators out there to get the plenum volume, runner volume, and runner length you need for your combo, but getting all of that in the engine compartment of a car is the hard part.

12. DragginSS

do you have or know where to find those calculaters? i would like to look at one.

13. MONTEGOD7SS