1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Sbc cam specs, help

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Neily, May 14, 2018.

1. Neily

IMG_0783.JPG #ad
    Hi all, I'm new here and after a lil help.
    So I have just finished installing a 350 in my car and got it running and it's a fuel guzzling turd . I built the bottom to 9.0 to 1 comp for future turbo fittment but just running na atm.
    Engine is a 350 with afr 195's, rpm air gap and a Holley 650 ultra xp dp. Bout 3000 stall power glide with a 3.25 rear. I know it's a bit of a miss matched combo atm but still thought it would be better than it is, only does about 9mpg and struggling to be 300hp flywheel I'd say. Cam is as above with 1.6 rockers, any advice appreciated. I'm unsure what's the issue unless it's just a bad parts combo. I didn't expect it to be a power house but it's using enough fuel that it should be better I think?

2. 91turboterror

What is your air fuel ratio at? What do the plugs look like? Degree your cam? Idk if a 3000 stall converter will be the best for mileage but it's good for turbo though. 109 lobe sep is a little on the narrow side for turbo something in the 112 neighborhood would be better . I'm not saying your cam won't work though.

3. Neily

Hi mate, I'm running about 14-14.5 at cruise which leans off and surges a little with light acceleration (needs to go up
    One more jet size I think) drops to 12 when I tread on it. Plugs look like new, suggests it's a little lean? I did degree the cam and it should be right, I purchased the cam to suit the current combo and I'll change it when I get the turbo on. Since I leaned it out I'm now getting about 11mpg (au gallon 4.54 litres) but that's all. Must be loosing a fair bit though converter slip perhaps, do you think that maybe it's just the way it is?

4. Neily

ps what effect do you think a turbo friendly camshaft would have on mileage at say a constant 50-60 mph? Aiming for about 600hp at the flywheel, my build was basically to have about 600hp with some resemblance to fuel economy vs high comp and a fairly wild cam and less power.

5. Justin_Inc

why 9:1 compression, why such a large cam for a very tame goal? you wanna know why the mileage sucks.... thats why

I would've kept the cam in the 218-220 duration @ .050 with compression and a goal like that.

mileage = engine combination, rear end gear, converter/rpm crusing. tuning is a big part but its a fairly simple aspect to dial in.

6. Traction Issuez

Is it a locking converter?

7. Neily

Hi mate, compression numbers are just where the package ended up. I thought 9:1 was a pretty good number for a turbo pump fuel engine?

Camshaft is what was recommended to me for the current combo so I just put it in. I'm intending to go single turbo it was just a cam to get it running, I didn't really realise it was that "big" of a cam. My understanding was that it was basically the next step up from std, which is why i thought the mpg would have been a little better. So basically the cam is to big and the converter is to loose?
    I'm all ears, what comp and cam would you recommend to get 6-650 crank hp?
    Thanks

8. Neily

Nah mate

9. Traction Issuez

10. Traction Issuez

Sounds like you need a power valve that opens at a lower vacuum.
    If you happen to have a motortrendondemand account, look at episode 29 of roadkill garage. He goes bit by bit for tuning a carb in the real world.

11. Drac0nic

This is probably not a bad idea. Open the valve earlier then reduce the main jets down in size.

Do you know what your converter's doing? Calculate out the RPMs you're slipping at cruise.

What are you doing for vacuum advance? If you're not running a can chances are you're cheating yourself. The LSA is pretty tight for mpg, there may be a bit to gain there.

I'd be most inclined to focus on powertrain though.

12. fastspec2

Timing? I find cruise timing has more of an effect on economy then cruise afr within reason. I would probably look for 42 ish degrees at cruise on that thing to start. If your running just locked out or have no load based advance you are going to have less then great economy. Especially considering your cruise afr seems reasonable. The old rule of thumb of 10* vac advance at 10 inches.

With that cam you are going to have a fair amount of EGR at cruise. EGR requires more timing to light the fire earlier.

Good luck

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018