1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

SBC Alternator swap (Help needed)

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by rockoosi1, Apr 16, 2008.

1. rockoosi1

I have been searching around and can't find a solution. I need to move my alternator to the driver's side but I need it to sit in front of the head and not hang off to the side (because of my design). Does anybody know of an alternator that isn't as deep as the stock chevy one that I could use to work with my design? I may be forced to relocate it down low but then I would have to move the PS pump up top. Any input is welcomed.

Rodney

DSC00765.JPG #ad

2. Shagwell

the late 80's/early 90's f-body serp belt set-up has a head mount alt and low mount powersteering pump. It's a one-piece cast alum bracket. The same year trucks are almost identical, except they're a bit further forward and they're closer to center on the motor. - IF you don't want the micro-v(serp-type) belt you could swap pullies. - I've been really busy trying to get a car ready for test&tune tomorrow eve, but I can probably get a pic in the next few days if you need.

3. rockoosi1

Cool, thanks for the reply and I will be looking forward to the pictures if you get a chance.

Rodney.

4. BOOOsted91z

Heres the pic of the stock setup on my car.... 91 Z28

5. rockoosi1

Thanks for the help. Is the alternator a different size (smaller) or is it that the pulleys just sit out further? When I switch mine over my alternator pulley sits out in front of the waterpump/crank pulley.

6. slowboat

Running a short or long water pump ?

7. rockoosi1

It's along pump but I was able to figure out a way to get it lined up. I used a Moroso bracket that my buddy had on his nova and it worked for now. I am going to use it for now until I can get something fabricated.