1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

S480 1.10 / CSU 750....the rest is kind of up in the air!

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by WR450SM, Dec 10, 2008.

1. WR450SM

Hey guys,

:help:
    Planning my first turbo build for a 65 Malibu. The car will be 50/50 street and strip use. It has been 12.40 at 108 with a basic N/A 350, but spent the last few seasons running the 13.00 and slower bracket on the front 2 holes of a 600DP! I am tired of the bracket scene, so I am looking to run in the 10's and actually drive it on the street a bit (maybe 2k miles a year). Hoping to see 550+ RWHP and of course not spend a huge pile of cash to have a little fun with the car. I will also be doing all of the :welder: fab work on the turbo set-up....with the help of the little green button when I get stuck.

Here is what I'm working with:

3450 lbs. with me and a full tank of fuel (small block)
    TH350 with 3500 stall 10" TCI with anti-baloon plate
    Ladder bar rear suspension with factory springs and shocks
    9' rear end with 3.70 gears, also have a 3.00 center section

Turbo stuff that I already have:
    80mm S400 with 1.10 T6 hot side
    Flange kit for oil / DP etc...
    CSU 750 blow through carb
    CSU bonnet
    A1000 pump
    13204 regulator

Obvioulsy the car with be blow through. I'd like to run 92 octane around town - but certainly not against a bit of race gas now and then. I'm looking at a meth kit as well.

So here is the question.....which motor combo? I have no problem with a gernade style build, in fact that kind of appeals to me at the moment. I just picked up a 76 Suburban with a 454 crate replacement motor that has something like 40k on it. The best part, I paid $100 for the whole rig, and the motor is in perfect running condition. Also has a short shaft TH-400 that may be a requirement for this build. It can't have more than 8.5:1 compression - so I'm thinkin' its asking for some boost. I'll have to scrounge up an oval port single plane intake, and then look into a reasonable cam change to wake things up a bit.

How would this cam work with the smogger 454?
    242 / 242 @ .050 .520/.520 and I think the lobe sep is 114. This is a 1970 LS6 or L78 grind with solid lifters.

Then there is the SBC option.....have plenty of 350 and 400 stuff, but nothing really boost apropriate. This is why I am so interested in the 454. Either way, I am looking at a stockish motor to get things tuned and keep it low buck / DIY style. Then maybe build a more durable / capable motor in a year or two.....or whenever it goes BOOM!

Sorry for the long post, but I didn't want to leave out any of the details that would just cause you guys to ask. Let me know what you guys think of the combo, intended use, etc.... and are my goals reasonable? :bow: :bow: :bow: :help:

Thanks

2. blown385

What kind of pistons are in the BB ?

3. BlueMonte

I think you can go alot faster than you think with the small block. The 1.10 will be perfect for a lower rpm combo... 20 guys might disagree with me, but that turbo on the 454 would be less than a perfect match . My vote, sbc. Search some of my posts on my votec based sbc with a s480.

4. jshiver

I am doing the exact same thing, but with a 350 sbc and an 82mm turbo with a .96 a/r....80mm on a big block is too small..you will have back pressure issues. I had a 509 bbc and traded it off for the sbc to better fit the turbo stuff I had.

5. MeanYellowZ

Im gonna say turbo the SBC, starting with the one in there now. You would be suprised what 10lbs of boost will do to a 12.40 combo....... That 480 1.10 will be just right for the track, a little laggy on the street but I run about the same turbo on a 320ish cube motor on the street and the lag is what makes it so fun. At least it has a chance to think about hooking up. Always fun letting guys get a little jump on you and blowing by them like their stuff broke. My non rearend having junk ran 132mph 1/4s with 11 lbs through a stock motor. Have fun......besides.....big blocks are heavy :)

6. WR450SM

I'd have to assume cast flat tops, the $100 rig didn't come with any reciepts for anything. The motor has all factory 78 suburban parts; cast q-jet intake and all accesories....even A/C. So it doesn't appear to be anything special. The guy said crate motor....but I don't necessarily believe that. Certainly not HO crate motor. In any case, it appears to be a solid runner, idles smooth as glass. Before going much further with it I would have to ge some casting #'s and pull a comp test and leakdown.

7. WR450SM

Yeah, I have definately studied your build...that thing is haulin' ass. Are you changing up your combo for next year? I remember reading annother post of yours about turbo longevity, did you find the reason?

8. WR450SM

The 12.40 combo is based on 11:1 pistons, not really boost friendly. That motor is a 1970 Z/28 LT1. 041 heads w/ manley 2.02/1.60's, OEM pistons, winters cast factory intake etc.. It ran 12.60's with the OE solid cam, and picked up 2 tenths after going to a Comp XE268 hydraulic.

If I end up going SBC, I'll probably go with annother motor all together. I have annother short block with forged flat top TRW's - I think the 4 valve relief pistons with 64 cc heads would be something like 9.4:1 Certainly better than 11, biut I would like to end up closer to 9.0:1 if not a bit under.

Since the 454 isn't getting a very positive response so far, I'd like to ask what you guys think would be the downside of the BBC combo. Is the 1.10 hot side the limiting factor? It is still a T6 - so I'm not seeing it as a deal breaker....I'll certainly admit it won't be ideal - but what would happen if I ran it? Would it limit RPM or just power? If I end up with the BBC, it would be a low RPM deal...probably 5500 to 6000 as absolute max.

I'm interested in what you guys think.

Thanks again.

9. CyanJaguar

the bbc takes more space in the engine bay, and weighs more. at least 100 lbs more.

but, the bbc also has a lot more torque off the line, which would come in handy with that single plane intake, low compression, and a heavier car. ie it would be a lot more bearable when youre off the boost.

do you have a map for that 80 mm? I bet you it gets into boost very quickly, which is more fun on the street.

10. blown385

If they are not forged pistons , I wouldnt run them .

If your going to build a new motor , SBC will be cheaper in the long run .

11. CW25

Sell the 1.10 87 trim and get a 1.32 96 trim S480 and it will be a great 454 combo with no ifs,ands or buts... :welder:

12. BlueMonte

I haven't had any problems with the turbo at all, I couldn't be happier with it :2thumbs: I'll tinker with the setup in the off season, but i'm not changing much. Next summer sometime i'm going to swap out the glide and 3.73's for a Th400 and 3.23's

13. WR450SM

Oops, I was thinking of Blue T - he is running the 1.10 480 like mine. Yours is the 1.32 correct? I read your build thread and some of your recent posts, but I had not seen the new best ET's untill today, Holy S%@t man.....I thought you were fast as hell running 9.80's the high boost #'s are outstanding! :2thumbs:

Your car is really making me look back at the SBC option. I have a std bore 97 Vortec motor with a rod knock, so it will likely need a crank and rods/pistons anyways.

14. slow67

Just turn the crank and put good rods and pistons in it.