1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

SB Chevy blowthrough, very low buck..

Discussion in 'Dyno Results and Track Times Forum' started by HellCamino, Oct 31, 2013.

1. HellCamino

Hi guys!

Here is short video of my ´72 turbo El Camino.

Took it to dyno few days ago. Pretty much everything is done as cheap as I could manage.
    Cast bottom end, ported smog head, vacuum secondary Holley in homemade enclosure. Schwitzer S400 turbo.

Managed to pull 488rwhp with 12psi boost. On higher boost pulls, power went down a little. That needs to be figured out next summer, because I have no garage at the moment and winter is around corner here in Finland.. :disturbed:

2. 91turboterror

Pretty cool !

3. Twin Turbo Skylark

NIce work, that is great power!

4. Disney Lincoln

Cool! I love how they strapped it down to the dyno!!

Post up some pics of your turbo system. The reason for the power drop might be able to be spotted.

5. HellCamino

Thanks man!

Great build you have going on, love the "oddball" projects..!

6. HellCamino

Thanks man!

Great build you have going on, love the "oddball" projects..!

7. HellCamino

Thanks!

Don´t have any pics handy now, but here is video clip of engine bay..

8. Drac0nic

Proof low buck doesn't mean low power, low quality or disorganized. Very well laid out, and very well executed. The results speak for themselves.

9. TurboComet

I love seeing budget projects make power. Well done!

10. HellCamino

Thanks guys!

This project sometimes makes me laugh about SB Chevy engine part prices.. For example pistons were tad over $10 each, you cannot get decent burger with that price :D

11. Twin Turbo Skylark

Yeah you need to keep us posted on this project! Do you have a build thread for the car?? By the sounds of the rear wheel numbers it is making about 540 HP at the crank off the top of my head and that is good for a stock type SBC! What about the TQ numbers? what RPM did the boost come on and how much torque?

12. buwagone

This is a very cool project. I was looking through your videos and was wondering what in the difference between the set up now versus the setup 3-4 years ago.

13. HellCamino

I´ll keep you guys posted for sure, but it´s going to be long winter ahead (without garage) so not much happening before next spring.. Boo! Boost comes up around 3000 to 3500 rpm with 12psi wastegate setting. I think maybe little sooner, if I can crank the boost up. Wastegate would creep open little later.. Rear wheel torque was little over 700Nm, about 520footpounds? Don´t have build thread, but maybe I shoud make one :p

14. HellCamino

Thanks man! Nothing else was changed, only bigger turbo and remote wastegate. Neither of them Chinese, although it´s a budget build.

15. vinces427bb

this looks great, how is the turbo supported or mounted?:popcorn:

16. HellCamino

Thanks man! I made bracket to hold both alternator and turbo. There is rod with spherical ends from bracket to turbo header (just below exhaust housing).

17. TwinTLuv

sounds like its spinning the tires on the dyno, maybe its spinning harder on higher boost levels? showing a lower HP

18. HellCamino

That could be it also.. There was some spinning even with Track Bite added, but not any burnout smoke. I figured it doesn´t matter that much, but who knows..