1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

saturated injectors that operate over 60lb/hr

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by indysho90, May 18, 2007.

1. indysho90

I am having a terrible time finding fuel injectors for my Ford. I calculate that I need something in the 80-100 lb/hr range for E85 and the few injectors that do come in that range are 'peak and hold' type, not the saturation type the my car came with.

I stopped by fiveomotorsports and was told I could use a resistor box to run low impedance injectors on the car, and even better than that I found people online who use 10watt 8ohm resistors inline with the injector.

Any experience with injectors in the 70-110 range that you can share Experience with?

2. Craig Smith

An 8 ohm resistor in series with a 5 ohm injector will cause the injector to operate at approximately 5.4 volts in a 14 volt system. This isn't going to be good.

3. indysho90

looks like there is no cheap way to get a stock computer to go much past 72lb/hr on injectors.

I could jack up the fuel pressure to make up for having just 42lb/hr squirters, but I am limited by the pumping curve of the 255LPH hiPres, and can't go over 90PSI for my fuel filter, plus the 1:1 rate of my FPR will allow me just 60PSI base pressure.

either I can make a power amplifier to run two 42lb/hr saturated injectors per cylinder on the stock signal, or drop over $1000 to get TWO FJO peak and hold converter boxes and the new 90lb/hr high flow injectors.

4. BT Motorsports

You could also consider an extra injector driver:
    http://www.sdsefi.com/eic.html
    The low impedance model could drive a 150lb injector. Just another option (though probably not the first choice I would make).

Paul

5. indysho90

Well I did the math and If I jack-up the base fuel pressure to 65 PSI and limit boost to 25 PSI I should have enough fuel flow for the stoichiometric AFR for E85 of 9.8:1. and If I'm a little lean its not going to hurt anything, I have extremely cold spark plugs and 105 octane points to work with.

It will be a close call, but all I will need is a series arrangement of two walbro 255 High pressure pumps, each adding 45PSI to the fuel pressure. Since I already have one in the tank I just need to add an in-line "external" mount pump and I should be able to do it. they cost around $150 bux, not too bad.

If I want more than 25 PSI boost I'm going to need a new turbo compressor anyway, because the T-60-1 HiFi that I have, is a bit of a wimp, in reality.

6. Craig Smith

25 PSI at stoich? :scratch:

7. indysho90

on E85.