1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Same turbo models but different compressor wheels??

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 72C10BBC, Sep 7, 2021.

1. 72C10BBC

I bought a supposed matching set of 85 mm turbos but noticed today that the compressor wheels are slightly different from one another. One wheel has straight tips and smooth blades while the other wheel has curved tips with grooves cut into the blades. (See pictures)
    Is one wheel design better than the other and if so which one? Should I worry about sending 1 of them back to get an exact matching pair or install them as is? They both measure the same at exactly 85mms. 20210907_193901.jpg #ad
    20210907_193858.jpg #ad

2. B E N

One is billet, one is cast. Strange they would send you two different wheels. I don't know if it matters much.

3. wht73

Am I seeing things? The cast one looks like it has cracks! 3rd blade down from the rt. Just above it starting and the 2nd one down on the rt on the top in the same place as the lower one just below the nut.
    I hope I'm wrong and it's just a reflection.

4. tbird

maybe im missing something.
    Both of those are fully machined. All the cast wheels ive seen have no machining done on the blades.

5. B E N

I dunno, they are weird. After @wht73 post I was looking at them and noticed this:
    20210907_193858.jpg #ad

Its a casting flaw, but wow its a bad one. I am not sure I would trust that wheel at 130,000 rpm. Its almost like these are prototype wheels.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  6. wht73

that’s what I was seeing. Made me nervous !
    Look down to the next blade. You see the start of one at the very top of the blade. Maybe the shaft is too big and it’s splitting it?

7. Pro-SC

8. tbird

ah, I see now. yeh thats questionable.