1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo sizing?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by TurboXstang98, Aug 30, 2013.

1. TurboXstang98

I've got a on# turbo kit i picked up cheap and am planning on placing it on a 351w motor (blow-through setup) in a 1998 mustang gt. The turbo that came with the kit is a T70 with the .96 housing. I was told this would still be a little small for my 351w. I did find a T70 with the following housings (T70 T04Z T4 twin scroll Turbine1.32 A/R .70 A/R 4" V-Band oil&water). Would this bee a much better turbo for my 351w? Here's what all i have on the motor,

351w (.030)
    JE forged (.14 dish forged) pistons
    Stock rods (arp bolts), stock crank (arp studs)
    Ported Edelbrock RPM heads, X303 cam (looking at custom grind cam thought)
    Edelbrock (carbed) Vic Jr intake
    Holley 650 HP carb (already modified for blow through)
    Mallory Unilite dizzy, MSD 6BTM box
    Tremec 3550 w/ lakewood scattersheil
    3.55 gears
    ON3 complete turbo kit with intercooler (switching too Tial wastegate and BOV

Let me know if this other turbo would be better or what would be better and keep cost down
    Thanks everyone

2. TTFBDY

Turbine size is your problem.
    You can get by with a 68mm exducer (small OD).
    You really want a 75mm though.
    Not a recommendation, but for budget, a GT45 is what you want.

A used PT7675 aka 76GTS, 76HPSH, or similar would be a better investment.

Once you commit to spending about $1k+- on a quality turbo you options open up.

With the smaller cheaper turbo's or 68mm turbines in general. You don't want to run the bigger cams.
    You don't have enough compressor and the turbine is already too small and the bigger exhaust
    lobe makes the situation worse.
    I forget the FMS cam specs but a 224 @ 050 is as big as you want to go.
    220 would probably be better. There are guys making around 1k fhp on that size cam so
    sonic quality is all your really getting with bigger cams.

3. TurboXstang98

oh ok, or would it work ok if i had twin T70's with the .96 turbine housings?