1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Safe Distance from Distributor Cap

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by RS440, Dec 11, 2020.

1. RS440

Hello,

I think this might be the last real question I have and I appreciate the answers I've received.

I am mounting the turbo in a way that puts in close to the distributor cap. I expect to wrap the collector as it enters the turbo (these pipes will be the closest to the header) and using some sort of blanket or wrap on the turbine housing. I'm guessing some sort of heat shield would be in order as well (and this could be coated as well). In the picture, the bracket has 1.5"of clearance from the corner of the turbine inlet and will be moved an additional 2.25" straight forward when it is installed. I think I could move it further towards the fender another inch or so. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but the turbine housing is further away from the distributor and lower (the turbo will sit under the flange as shown in the second picture).

Any thoughts?

IMG-4657.jpg #ad
    IMG-4658(R).jpg #ad

2. B E N

Not great, its going to make setting the timing a real pain, probably shorten the life of your ignition components.

Picture is confusing, are you mounting the turbo in the orientation its in or the orientation of the flange?

RS440 likes this.
  3. RS440

The orientation of the turbo is correct and the flange is wrong, but the distances remain the same. The entire assembly is also going to move forward a couple of inches.

The distributor is accessible and removable without moving any piping or turbo parts. The corner of the the turbo flange will be the closest hot part to the distributor.

4. 91turboterror

Where you have the flange clamped is a bit close. It should be moved all the way out towards the pass side on your bracket. You could turn the turbo 45 deg towards the DS to gain a little more clearance if you had to .it might make the DP a little more complicated than a straight price of pipe.